Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

stalled cycle?

it has been about five days since i filled my 40 gal tank and started a fishless cycle. i'm using pure ammonia. my ammonia reading is around .2-.3 and has been for five days. i see no trace of nitrites.

does it normally take this long, or should i be seeing nitrites?

unfortunately, i can't use established media from my other tank as i'm battling ich. i do have some live plants from a friend's tank that i threw in.

shouldn't i have seen some change?

a while back i had started to fishless cycle another 10 gal and saw nitrites within a day or two, but i also had put in some established substrate.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
No it could take a week or two. Everything is normal. I assume you meant 2 -3 ppm of ammonia.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks for the info!

yeah, that's what i meant 2-3 ppm. i didn't have the results right in front of me when i posted.

i wish those bacteria would hurray up already, i'm looking at a perfectly scaped tank that is itching for some fish.

i'll see if i can gank some media from friends
Old 10-23-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I have had great success dosing to 4 -5ppm ammonia. Usually 4 but not always precise with my measuring, LOL.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks guys..

but if my tank is at 2-3 ammonia every day, do i keep dosing or do i wait for that to disipate?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Just add enough to maintain the levels.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

i finally got nitrites! thanks guys!
Old 10-27-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please note that you CAN use the media from your established tank. Ich requires a food source (your fish) to survive. In a fishless cycle the Ich has no host and will die in the free-swimming stage (essentially dehydrates and dies from lack of nutrients).

Note you can speed up your cycle by increasing the tank temp (below 90F), decreasing the water level slightly if using a HOB (more oxygen), and keeping the lights off. The last one won't help speed the cycle but will limit the chance of a GW outbreak which is ripe for occurring (low CO2 and ammonia are principle causes).
Old 10-27-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks for the info. my temp is up to about 83. i thought about leaving the light off, but wouldn't the plants suffer? i'm not sure what kind they are as my friend gave them to me, but they are low light plants. in fact, his words were that you could grow them in a bucket of highway water in a closet. and the water level is low because of evaporation, as i keep my apartment at a toasty 60 degrees, while the fish live in 80 degrees, go figure.

that's interesting about the ich. though i have a friend coming over today with all sorts of media, so i think i'll just play it safe. thanks again
Old 10-27-2006, 03:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

With plants in there keep the lights on (missed that ), but keep a close eye on your fert levels or begin EI dosing. With free ammonia present in the water if the plants are missing a single fert the algae will take over!

Tags
cycle, led, stall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com