Stalled cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter333294

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is my cycle stalled? I'm doing a fishless w/ shrimp(figured its easier than dosing ammonia) and seeded media, but its taking forever! Im coming into my 4th week, had my bacteria bloom and ammonia spiked and is going down but no sign of nitrite yet. Is this normal or should I be seeing nitrite and nitrates now?

how much media did you use from another tank? If you used all the media from another tank, you may not see much of a nitrite spike. And is this tank planted at all? If so, that could be another reason...they eat up nutrients before they show up.

But just keep waiting...back when i did freshwater my cycles usually took about 6 weeks.

The media was too big so I cut it to fit in my HOB. Also, there are no live plants in my tank so it isnt that.

You should see nitrite very soon. Run a nitrate test and see it it is higher that your tap. You may be a lot closer than you think. What did your ammonia rise to and what is it now?

rich311k said:
You should see nitrite very soon. Run a nitrate test and see it it is higher that your tap. You may be a lot closer than you think. What did your ammonia rise to and what is it now?
Tap has no nitrates or nitrites. The tank has em though! Looks a little over 5. Also ammonia spiked to around 4-5 ppm and is now around 1 ppm.

You may have added enough seed to bypass the nitrite phase. You are progressing nicely just stay the course.

rich311k said:
You may have added enough seed to bypass the nitrite phase. You are progressing nicely just stay the course.

Okay, so just wait for ammonia to go away and i'll be done?

I do have one more question. Once the cycle's done, can I take out the filter media and shrimp? Or should I just leave it all in?

If the media is in the filter leave it. You worked hard to colonize it. Remove the shrimp do an 80% plus water change and start stocking. Can I come to the LFS with you?

rich311k said:
If the media is in the filter leave it. You worked hard to colonize it. Remove the shrimp do an 80% plus water change and start stocking. Can I come to the LFS with you?

Why would you want to? :p I've got a stocking idea, but I might change it up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom