Start cycling while gone for 2 weeks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99RedSi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to be out of the country at the end of October for a period of 2 weeks. I planned on starting the cycling of my 10g tank at the end of next week. Since I won't be around to monitor or anything during the two weeks - is that safe to do?

I just want some peace of mind if I can gain 2 weeks of boring cycling time while I'm gone :) (if it is indeed safe).

Nothing dangerous about it, lol!

I guess you mean can the cycle go on without you, and the answer is yes, and no. If you want to go ahead and start a fishless cycle you could do so using a raw shrimp or a block of vacation feeder to supply ammonia while you are gone.

If you were planning on cycling with fish, I would not leave town during the process, because the fish might likely be dead when you return.

So I just drop a shrimp in and go? It's probably going to start cycling a week or two before I go (using ammonia - 5ppm, etc).

Is it cool to just switch when the time comes and pop a shrimp in?

That's what I'd do, but just for the sake of experimentation! Maybe pop it in there a couple of days before you go, still adding the ammonia, so it has a chance to begin to decay.

(Could you hear my sigh of relief that you are cycling fishless? :wink: )

Haha :). I would NEVER think of doing anything other than fishless cycling! I would rather have the very best tank I can have ready and to me, that is fishless cycing.

Thanks for your help TankGirl! You are always so willing to post replys - I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom