Started Cycling With Wrong Ammonia, Should I Change Substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So yesterday, I got my new aquarium set up and bought some ammonia for it. Turns out, it wasn't the correct ammonia (it had dye and perfumes in it) so I drained my tank, rinsed it out, and rinsed the substrate as well. Now I have pure ammonia in the tank and it is running smoothly. No bubbles or any sign of the old ammonia.

Some have told me I need to change the substrate. Is this necessary? Or will the long cycle get rid of any unwanted chemicals? Thanks!

If you've gotten enough of it out, then eventually the rest will react with organics within the tank and will eventually go away, but there is a chance, anything remaining will hinder your cycle in the future. If you have aquarium gravel (the shiny sealed kind) it'd be easy to clean it out. Something absorbent like a clay or sand, you're risking a little more.

I'd go ahead, and see if you can get some nitrites in the next few weeks. 2 weeks go by without nitrites, I'd try changing the substrate. If you won't want to risk it, you could change the substrate (if you have something from home depot or something, it shouldn't be too expensive to switch)

Ok, so I did end up purchasing new substrate, as well as buying a more suitable filter, the Marineland Penguin 100. Am I finally ready to start cycling?

Ha, I sure as heck better be. Being a part timer, this has taken quite a chunk of my money. But my love for fish and always wanting an aquarium has kept me from giving up this whole time. Besides, the month or so it will take to cycle will give me enough time to replenish the lost cash.

Spending money isn't lost... they're an "investment". They will improve your health and increase output in the long run... lol. It's like buying a computer for your store :) Increased efficiency.

Anyways, once you get a good setup, it's not like it's a constant drain. Big costs are up front and maintenance is negligible unless you have like 1000W of light going on and multiple sumps and pumps... lol Darn salties.

Well, the equipment that I bought and found out I didn't need, I consider that a loss. Everything vital to the aquarium I don't consider a loss. Back when I was younger, I did try to set up and aquarium, but the fish always died within a week. Now that I've done extensive research on how to take care of an aquarium these past few weeks, I now don't mind spending the money to get one up and running properly.

I've got lots of junk equipment I save for the day my main tank's stuff decides to die. I've got 2 extra filters, some big pumps, an extra heater and extra lights.

Oddly enough, my hobbies are cyclical, usually with a period of about 3 years, and I always end up using all the equipment I buy eventually. I guess the hob filters will probably sit there now that I've upgraded to canisters.

dont worry, you'll get another tank and put all that other equipment to use.

I guess that is a good way of putting things :)

Also, should I buy new fake plants after the ammonia screw up? They're plastic, so they were much easier to rinse than substrate.

Ok, it's just that my paranoia has been kicking in high gear these past few days. After almost a month of waiting, I don't want to have a faulty fish tank.

Not sure about purfumes and dyes, but I've cycled a tank using ammonia with surfactants. I did a large water change right before going to get fish and I had no problems.

That makes me feel a lot better. I've assumed that the whole cycling process would get rid of any undesirable chemicals.

Another quick question I thought of, when should I change the filter? After I've had fish in for awhile? I don't want to screw up the cycle I worked so hard for. Also, say I want to put a decoration in a week from now, will that disrupt the cycle very much?

Back
Top Bottom