Starting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to AA! What size tank are you looking to get? That would help with determining what type of fish you could potentially get. Starting out, you'll have to determine the size of the tank (based on what type of fish you might want to keep), what type of substrate you want to use (sand, gravel, etc) and what type of filter(s) you want to use(largely determined by the size of the tank and the type of fish you'll want).

[center:0c1a74c89e] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Ferd123! :n00b: [/center:0c1a74c89e]

That's a very open question. The tank size will be a factor in what fish you can keep and your wallet will be a factor in the size of tank you get :wink:

When you first get a tank, the decor, substrate...all set up, add tap water and enough dechlor for the tank. Set your heater to 78F~ common temp for many tropical fish, you can adjust it from there. The you will cycle the tank and will need straight ammonia, liquid test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. pH and hardness tests are also handy. That's if you want to use ammonia for the cycle. You can also do it this way.

After 6-8 weeks, it will be time for fish! With all that time spent cycling the tank, you can look up information on all sorts of fish and have it all narrowed down when it's time to add the fish.

Ask questions as needed!

Few suggestions...buy as large a tank as you can afford...much more stable environment..and i'd also suggest getting the longest tank you can which is better for oxygen exchange...and allows for more of a footprint which provides more cover than a tall tank for fish to set up territories...

Also, do lots of research on different equipment and definitely allow for things like filters, heaters, substrate, etc in your budget and take into consideration a bigger tank requires more expensive equipment. Things get expensive fast...and thats without fish in the picture yet.

RESEARCH! RESEARCH! RESEARCH!

I decided about 6 months ago that I wanted an aquarium....i've been researching ever since and still haven't bought one yet. You want to do things right the first time so definitely take your time. Also, you will probably change your mind 100 times about what you want in your tank..I know I have. Use forums like AA and don't be afraid to ask basic questions, everyone here is very helpful. Good luck and hope to read of your future successes.

Back
Top Bottom