Starting 50g Malawi Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eTrain

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been out of the aquarium market for the better part of a decade, but I'm excited to get back in the swing. I had a Malawi tank in high school that had a horrible heater disaster and hadn't really looked at an aquarium since. It was only a 30g tank but I kept 8 3" to 4" fish in there, so I feel like I did ok. But looking to the future...

I'm picking up the tank and sand today and hope to start a fish less cycle. I have 75 lbs of slate on the way to aqua scape. I'm going to keep it simple maybe only add a fake plant or two. The fish will probably just dig them up. Should I wait to start the cycle until my slate is in or is it ok to start it with just the sand, or maybe with nothing at all? I've never done a fishless cycle before, so I'm a little apprehensive. I plan on using two fluval C4 filters. Unless anyone has any better suggestions.

Do your scape, add the rocks, slate whatever first, then the sand. There gonna dig as you know, you'll be happy you added everything prior to sand. You can even put eggcrate down to help distribute the weight more evenly. You can pick up eggcrate/light diffuser at a hardware store or Home Depot has them.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/24-in-x-48-in-White-Egg-Crate-Lighting-Panel-5-Pack-/202653781/

Add everything in then start your cycle. BB will grown on everything that's in the tank.

Hopefully more will chime in.

Well the tank is in place with eggcrate and just enough sand to fill it. Just waiting for the slate.

image-567753645.jpg

The waiting is killing me...

Anyone have any suggestions on how to hide filter tubes and hoses? Or on back drops? Maybe a good place to look online.

eTrain said:
The waiting is killing me...

Anyone have any suggestions on how to hide filter tubes and hoses? Or on back drops? Maybe a good place to look online.

Paint the back black, put a black trash bag up, put a backer from a fish store or make a 3d background

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom