Starting a 29 gal brackish build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bones87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, so I'm starting A 29 gallon tank and would like your opinion on the route I'm taking. It's gonna be a little while till I'm ready to put fish in, I have some tank parts on order and I need to grind down and re paint the metal tank stand. As well as collecting rocks and driftwood and getting them prepped for the tank...But in the mean time I can get everyone's advice on what I plan to do.

I plan on running a 40 gal hob filter, 150-200wt heater, light bar, power head. I'm going to start it as a fresh water aquarium then slowly turn it brackish. I'm doing this cause most of the fish I've been looking at are kept in freshwater. So I want to acclimate them slowly. As for aquascaping I'm gonna use play sand and maybe a little crushed coral, rocks, and drift wood. So here are some questions I have.

I'd like to add live plants, help move the cycling faster. But I want something easy. I was thinking java ferns, java moss, moss balls...will these plants hold up in brackish water?

As for fish options...some that I'd really want are
Green spotted or figure 8 puffer
Moral eel
Flounder
Cat sharks

Now I know the cat sharks and the eel will out grow my tank so those are out for now. And I know the flounder is difficult to manage. So I want to go with a puffer. I know they can be aggressive and territorial towards other fish but I was going to try a gsp or f8 puffer with 3 dalmatian mollies and 3 black mollies. I know the mollies do well in brackish water. I know people have had luck with bumblebee gobies but I can't find them near me. I'm open to suggestions and would like to hear any advice. Thanks.

Thanks everyone

A 29 gallon tank would only be suitable for a figure 8 puffer with a few bumblebee gobies or a trio of mollies and some bumblebee gobies.

What other fish combinations can I put in my tank? Can I do some cichlids with other fish?

I don't want a species only tank, I'd like some variety. I'm open to hear all possible fish combinations that would work in my tank.

Not a lot grows in brackish water.
Cryptocoryne ciliata, special care.
Microsorium pteropus, vesicularia dubyana ok.
Most things are low end brackish only, if at all.

You can keep a figure 8 in 15g so that might be a bit large. (Species only)
I kept one with a shoal of bumble bees for years without trouble but research is a must on the goby as some do not tolerate freshwater, some do not tolerate brackish water and some need an annual fluctuation between the two for breeding.
They all look very similar and they are all sold as bumblebee goby. Acquire the Latin or leave the fish, or be prepared for months of study trying to ID your new charges.

Some puffers are species only with some being considered as specimen only. You may be able to keep 2/3 f8 in that tank but provide hiding places and be prepared to evacuate fish at short notice.

You will get your money's worth from a tank with only one puffer in. Believe me these fish simply ooze character. (I have an f8 in 15g)

Really you need a tank double the size for most brackish fishes, scats eels archerfish and catfish normally need big tanks.

Some species of poecilia, gambusia and aplocheilichthys are salt tolerant.

Back
Top Bottom