Starting a 40 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swimwithme

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will be setting up my 40 gallon this weekend. I have read the almost complete guide to set up your fishie tank:fish2:..however, there is no information (or I'm blind) that tells you how much ammonia to add when doing your fishless cycle. Can someone answer this question?
Thank You.

Well i used neutrafin cycle. U do 25 ml of the stuff per 38 liters of your tank the first day.second day you put in 10 ml per 38 liters then again the third day

You can get pure ammonia from a hardware store (if you live in America an Ace Hardware sells pure ammo) and then dose 4 ppm depending on some various factors which I am not an expert on.

you need an ammonia test kit (and nitrite, nitrate).
Raise the ammonia to around 2-3ppm on the test kit.

I think its around half a capful.

you need an ammonia test kit (and nitrite, nitrate).
Raise the ammonia to around 2-3ppm on the test kit.

I think its around half a capful.

I have an API test kit that I'm pretty sure tests the ammonia level. So basically, I should start out with a (editing to half capful, sorry) capful? How long do I wait to test the levels for the first time?

add half capful - then after a couple of hours, test the water for ammonia.

If the reading is too low, add a little more dose of ammonia to raise it between 2-3ppm (as long as the test tube turns green, you have added enough).
note: You must also continue dosing the tank with ammonia if it drops to zero ppm; as the bacteria need a constant source and supply of ammonia to grow and survive.

It then becomes a waiting game...you have to test your water everyday until you finally detect nitrates in your water.

All brands of ammonia are different strengths (which is why there's no guideline on how much to add). For example, Ace Hardware brand is super potent and it only takes a tiny bit. On the other hand, the Blue Ribbon brand I use takes almost 300 drops to hit 4ppm.

I agree to add a small amount, let it circulate, test and add more until you hit the right amount. You can always do a pwc if you overdose.

Good luck! :)

:thanks:
Ok, wish me luck in getting my tank going. I am so excited!!

Can't wait till I get to actually put some fishies in there! :)

Hi, this will help: Calculator Go down to the bottom: fishless cycling--ammonia required. Put in your size tank in gallons, the amount you want to dose to (4) and the ammonia strength and it'll tell you how much to add in ML.

I usually let mine circulate about 30 minutes before testing the level.

Back
Top Bottom