Starting a 46g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
My girlfriend and I are getting a 46g tank from my parents for my birthday pretty soon. We're not sure what we want in this tank, but we have a few ideas.

Out list of wants (not all are necessary of course)

Well planted
At least one group of schooling fish
Shark
Loach of some sort
Some big fancy lookin fish (Angle maybe)

Which of these things are compatible, and where can i get a good idea of how to start a healthy planted tank?

Thanks,
David

where can i get a good idea of how to start a healthy planted tank?
Search posts in the Planted Tank Forum!
Well planted
At least one group of schooling fish
Shark
Loach of some sort
Some big fancy lookin fish (Angle maybe)
Most sharks get quite large, and this may influence which schooling fish you get. Loaches like to be in groups of 3+. For that size tank, I recommend 3 yo-yo loaches, or khuli loaches.

I have a 46 as well and I have 8 kuhli loaches, 4 cory paleatus,2 celebes halfbeaks, 6 praecox rainbows plus 3-6 ghost shrimp. I'm using a coarse black sand and its planted with anubias nana, crypt wendtii, and hornwort.For filtration I'm running a Eheim ecco comfort 2234 canister filter and an Aquaclear 300 hob filter. I think its a nice looking tank and I will be converting my 80 to the same sand sometime soon.

You can't beat the Schooling of Rummynose Tetras, they are always in tight schools when I see them.

Clown loaches are nice, but like to be in 3's, they hit 3" before thier growth spurt slows down. (they can hit 12", but 6 is about average from what I hear.)

Redtail Shark is a loner shark, but may get agressive with the rummynose. (tho they are probably big enough to be safe)

Angel's could be a problem, If they get larger then you may lose some fish.

Congo's are nice, but need 3.

Perhaps a Dwarf Gourami.

Anubis are very hardy low light plants, as are java fern (Which attaches to wood nicely)

hth

thanks for the quick replies. I've actually got a very prolific java fern in my 10g. It has several healthy rhizomes (sp?) so i'll probably prune a few and start them in the 46g.

I wouldnt think it would be a problem. I have a pair of angels and a red tail shark in my 80 and they never bother eachother. Just be sure to provide 1 or 2 hiding places for the shark. Mine loves to hide all the time. What else do you plan on stocking? Both the shark and angels get fairly large.

Have you thought of Bala Sharks? We had them with Parrots and Tetra's and didn't have a problem.

you could always get a shark egg and watch it hatch then get rid of it when it hatches. just a though. ive always wanted to do that
:?:

Here is an article about a low-tech planted tank - my lower light, low-maintenance planted tanks are really easy to maintain and the plants do very well without having to worry about fertilizer, CO2, etc.
http://plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=17

We had 4 in a 55 gal with Parrots. It won't be a problem if you buy them small. It will take a while for them to grow too large for the tank. Besides, by the time it will give you an excuse to purchase a larger tank. :D That's how we got the 55 in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom