Starting a 50 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ElectricRose

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone!
I am a new fish hobbiest. I have had a successful 10 gallon tank before I moved and it had Tetra and Danio Glofish and a snail. I was misinformed by a very uneducated Pet Store owner about the fact that Glofish are injected to "glo" and since knowing this I will never buy another. Anyway when I had to move out of my apartment I wasn't allowed to have a fish tank in my new apartment and rehomed them to a friend who takes great care of them and I still get to see them when I visit. :)
Anyway I am moving again and can have up to a 50 gallon tank! :dance: I think I would like to do the 50 Gallons as it gives way more options for fish than say my 10 gallon. Do you think I'm getting in over my head?
So my thought is Angel fish and Dwarf Gourami's as my main fish.
What are everyone's opinions on other compatible fish/bottom dwellers and live plants? Also do you suggest a glass tank or another kind?
I would like to keep a mostly peaceful tank but want to have a good community so any advice would be much appreciated!
Thank you! :fish2:

Last edited:
I started a planted 55 gallon tank in Oct. I put in seven Zebra Danios and a Betta. Then added three Clown Loaches. After a short time A Mystery Snail and Blue Eyed Lemon Bristlenose Pleco. I'm going to add a school of rummy nosed tetras. My LFS had three, they're small, I'm going to have a medium school, maybe get eight more. The Zebras are down to five.

i would suggest getting as big as you can. bigger tanks aren't as vulnerable to swings in chemistry or other things that might happen. just beware of size when looking at fish. clown loaches can get huge. do your research on fish! some are aggressive and territorial.
Also many fish need to have a certain number of them to be happy. neon tetras 8-10 for instance.

as for bottom dwellers I LOVE my kuhli loaches. they don't do much cleaning when it comes to detritus but I just can't over their looks, peaceful nature, and the way they move.

You also can't go wrong with corydoras. there are multiple varieties and looks. they are great about sifting through the substrate and picking up uneaten food.

kuhlis and corys need to be in groups. cories need at least 5-6 with the more the better. and kuhlis need about the same number but I would recommend a starting number of 7 for them.

make sure to add the more aggressive fish last in your tank so they don't see any new additions as intruders.

don't forget water conditioner.
Good luck and have Fun!!

I started a planted 55 gallon tank in Oct. I put in seven Zebra Danios and a Betta. Then added three Clown Loaches. After a short time A Mystery Snail and Blue Eyed Lemon Bristlenose Pleco. I'm going to add a school of rummy nosed tetras. My LFS had three, they're small, I'm going to have a medium school, maybe get eight more. The Zebras are down to five.

What kind of filter do you have?

I have a Forza 7 canister filter. Highly recommend it. Super quiet. Practically maintenance free. I started it up in mid October and took it apart to clean for the first time a few weeks ago. Excellent condition. Rinsed the media in tank water and put back together.

Rose,

Congrats on being able to get a larger tank. GuppyGuy is right: larger tanks are easier to maintain.
I've never had glofish, but I believe that now, they're no longer injected, but have an added protein bred into them that cause their fluorescence. However, don't take my word for it. As I said, I've never had them, and could very well be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom