Starting a Betta Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NarwhalLover3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all. I usually post in the saltwater section, but I've decided to set up a tank for a Betta. I've already started setting it up, but would like to make sure that I'm going about it the right way. I have a 10 gallon tank filled with tap water. I added water dechlorinator as instructed on the package. I've also added a heater that is set at 78 degrees Fahrenheit. I will be letting the tank sit until tomorrow before adding substrate and decorations. I have already purchased a male Half Tail Betta who is waiting in a temporary tank. Would it be ok to introduce him into the new tank tomorrow? Thanks! :)

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Aquarium Advice

Yes, it would be fine to put him in, as long as your substrate and decorations have been or are clean(ed).

However, most people here HIGHLY recommend that you cycle your tank. Do you plan on doing it fish-in, since you want to add him tomorrow?

Yes, it would be fine to put him in, as long as your substrate and decorations have been or are clean(ed).

However, most people here HIGHLY recommend that you cycle your tank. Do you plan on doing it fish-in, since you want to add him tomorrow?

Well, I was originally planning on doing a 50% water change weekly. Would that work instead of cycling because if not, I can do the cycle. It's no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Aquarium Advice

Well, I was originally planning on doing a 50% water change weekly. Would that work instead of cycling because if not, I can do the cycle. It's no big deal.

I would say it would probably take 2 50% changes per week to run a betta in an uncycled 10g tank but yeah, it would be okay.

I would say it would probably take 2 50% changes per week to run a betta in an uncycled 10g tank but yeah, it would be okay.

Cool. It's going to be a breeze doing water changes so small. I'm used to doing water changes on a 90 gal saltwater so this will be too easy. Lol

Do you have a filter on the tank? If you do make sure the flow isn't too strong because he will get pushed down. This happened with my females.

If you dont have a filter just do weekly water changes.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you have a filter on the tank? If you do make sure the flow isn't too strong because he will get pushed down. This happened with my females.

If you dont have a filter just do weekly water changes.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't have a filter on the tank. I thought it might be potentially dangerous because they are so fragile so I decided no. Thanks! :)

I don't have a filter on the tank. I thought it might be potentially dangerous because they are so fragile so I decided no. Thanks! :)

Bettas do need filtered heated water. They aren't THAT fragile, they are used as pit bulls in the fish world after all ;)

Bettas do need filtered heated water. They aren't THAT fragile, they are used as pit bulls in the fish world after all ;)

Do have a heater. Contemplating adding a small HOB eventually.

Wow ur betta is so pretty and good job getting a filter!

Tank is life!

? If you are commenting on my pic, thank you. And a canister isn't needed for a 10g but as my first rimless tank, I wanted it pretty. This custom intake/outflow.

The OP hasn't added a filter yet.
As long as they get an HOB with adjustable flow that should work fine.

I put my HOB to one side in my other 10g so my Nano fish don't get blown around.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom