Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Starting a Brackish Tank?

Hey Everyone,

I have an empty 10g tank, a NO flouro light, and a spongefilter and thought about mayb emaking a brackish tank. I was thinking of a pair of puffers. HOw much space do they need? What is needed to maintain a brackish tank? How do you start a brackish tank? How do you measure/adjust/stabilize salt content?

Thanks for all the help.

Mike

PS-If I can't get a brackish tank going rather easily, I'll just got freshy with a betta and frog or something.

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know much about puffers, so I won't even wager a guess on the tank size. It completely depends on the species, but I doubt if a pair would work in a 10 for anything larger than dwarf puffers. Dwarf puffers are strictly FW so you could keep 2 or 3 in there as long as the tank is heavily planted. With a NO flourescent light, this may be a problem.

As far as brackish tanks go, they are essentially just marine tanks with lower salinity than full marine. I don't know the suggested specific gravity for a brackish tank; I suppose it varies by species (since I'd imagine the specific gravity of brackish water in the wild would be pretty variable). You'd have to do some research on that. You have to use marine salt to mix up brackish water, not aquarium salt. To measure salinity/specific gravity of the water, you can use either a hydrometer (pretty inaccurate) or a refractometer (pretty accurate!)- I would highly recommend the refractometer. That's what I use for my reef tanks. Also, you will have to top the tank off with freshwater as water evaporates out of your tank, or the specific gravity will rise since salt doesn't evaporate. Once you get the hang of mixing the water and topping off the tank, it isn't that difficult, but there's a learning curve to it at first and I'm not sure I would call it easy.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brackish, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com