Starting a first time Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlanier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello -
I'm planning on starting a new aquarium which will be my first. I have an idea of what I want (I think) but still looking for a few suggestions. The tank I'm looking at purchasing is a Aqueon Geneva 38 gallon which comes with filtration system, lighting, submersible water heater, digital thermometer, ect. Now to what I want to put in it.

I'm thinking sand vs. pebbles. Seems like the sand look would be better looking option, kind of like the ocean bottom. And from what I've read here on the site it sounds like pool filter sand is the way to go. For a 38gal tank how much sand should go in? 1-2 inch coverage? Once the sand is in, what's the best way to add water?

For the fish I'm thinking tropical freshwater. I want a colorful aquarium and from what I've seen most tropical seem to fit this. My plan is to start with 4~ fish then adding in 4~ couple weeks later. From what I've read it seems that I should be able to house 15-19 fish in a 38gal tank. Does that seem right? Any suggestion on the types of fish? I've browsed the local chain pet stores (petsmart and petco) and I like the Cichlids I've seen. Electric Yellow and one that is dark blue and black, African Cichlid I think. Also ran into a couple of freshwater sharks that I've liked, but not sure how they would do with other fish.
My goal is to have a nice looking colorful aquarium. Any suggestions or lessons learned would be great.

Well, i love pfs... i have it in 2 of my tanks... If you went that route, the best method is to rinse the sand in a bucket, add it in, then use a plate on top of the sand when you add water... its not really a big deal though if you dont, because you can just reach in and smooth it back out...

Now for the stocking suggestions... youre sorta right on the sharks, its not really that they wont get along with other fish, because theyre really just a minnow that looks like a shark... The problem would be in your tank size... They get HUGE, at least bala sharks do (i have no experience with others)... As for being able to put 15-19 fish in, it really depends on what you get. If you go with some sort of tetra for instance, then you could probably put more than that... If you go with cichlids, depending upon what you went with, you could probably only get away with 6-10 (just a rough estimate). Compatability is the biggest issue when picking fish.

Now are you set on a 38g? What i would recommend is if you have the space, check craigslist in your area... You could probably find a nice 55g setup complete with everything you need cheaper than you can buy that 38g... Just a thought. I have bought several 55's from craigslist ranging from $40-$100... Those were complete with stand, filter, lights, heater, and even fish.

Lastly, Welcome to AA :)

Yeah for now kind of limited on the space, the 38gal with the stand is a perfect fit for the area. Hopefully I'll have it all setup by Wednesday then let it sit and run for a while before I start stocking.
For the PFS what amount is normal to place in the tank? Coverage wise I'm guessing 1-2 inches thick on the bottom?

well it only comes in 50lb bags (at least thats all ive seen)... id say you will just have to judge it as you set it up... It all depends on the size of the tank (length and width)... i know i put one bag in my 55 and had about 1-1.5"... so you probably will have about 2" or so if you put all 50lbs in... also, make sure you cycle the tank before adding fish.. here is a good article on fishless cycling http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...ks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/Page1.html

Yes! Cycle the tank before you start.. So Important... yet so many of us did'nt know what "cycling" was with our 1st.

As for purchasing a "kit" tank, I would really look into a used, but good tank on Craigslist, or local listings. If you must purchase new, get a Bare Tank, and accessories extra!
Kits usually include low quality filters, Lighting & Heaters which you will want to upgrade or replace in the near future.
Depending on your budget and what you can afford, sometimes buying good quality accessories from start can save you in the Long run..
Example, Coralife Lighting, Marineland Stealth(r) Heater & good quality Canister filter such as Rena, Eheim, Marineland....
Just my 2 Cents :)
Enjoy the Hobby... And welcome to AA

Tank finally setup.
38 gallon freshwater, PFS for bottom coverage.

Anything jump out suggestion wise? Should there more coverage?

4044155743_2c338b6a98.jpg

4044900468_6e3ddf7bb4.jpg

definately needs a nice dark solid background... and you will probably end up taking those fake rock things out and getting real rock and/or driftwood... otherwise, looks pretty nice, just depends on what kind of fish you get as to whether it will work the way you have it... if you get fish that like to hide, you will need some "caves"...

The solid background, is that something for looks or does it provide some type of value? And the middle rock has few cave openings for them to swim in and out of.

Since I went with sand (PFS) is the python still something I would need?

Using a python will save you all kinds of time. For cleaning the sand, you skim over the top of it to suck up debris. Make sure to stir the sand every so often so gas pockets don't build up. Also be sure when you refill the tank, treat with dechlor for the size of the tank, not what you are replacing.

Good luck!

With my "Pyton" and cleaning, I found it easiest to swirl the end of the hose near the top of the sand to make the debris sort of free floating, then suck it up. The sand is REALLY easy to suck up into the hose. Stir the sand right away because even though you just put the sand in, it will still have air pockets under it. Have fun with your tank! Pretty soon you will have MTS like the rest of us!

I did my first round of testing last night after having tap water in for 24 hours. My pH level is around 7.8~. What can be done to lower that, or is it a waiting thing? The source of my water was just tap water.

a PH of 7.8 isnt bad at all..
The most important thing is to have a "Stable" PH level. Don't worry so much about its level.
What you want to be worried about is your Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates.
Ammonia should always be 0 as well as your Nitrites.
Nitrates should be below 20.
Have you purchased a Test kit yet? I suggest a API Master FW liquid Kit. Don't waste your money on Strips.
BTW, Nice looking Tank.
I agree with our friend.. Missing on a background :)

Also, you will need to be patient... Have you read the link given about Fishless Cycling? It's really important to complete the Nitrogen cycle before adding fish as this will save you Tons of headaches and swearing. Also save the Future habitants of your new Tank.

Yep - I've read through the fishless cycle thread and going down that road. But the reason I was looking at the pH level is because of the fish I'm looking at getting such as tetras, glowfish, (couple other that i cant remember). The listing on them show to have a pH level of 6.8 to 7.2

while the tank is cycling, ph will bounce up and down... at least right now, dont worry about ph. Now, as for your fish... that is the ph level "recommended" for them... the ph in my tanks is 7.8, thats a tank with mbuna, a planted tank with only a rubber lipped pleco, and a community tank with danios, platys, and corys. The only fish recommended for that ph are the mbuna, but as people have said many times on here, ph is not a very important factor, as long as it stays consistant. If you properly cycle the tank and keep ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in check, and the ph stays at a consistant number, you wont have any problems. The only thing you have to make sure of is that you acclimate the fish. Chances are, the lfs, if using the same tap water you are, has the same ph as you, or close to it. Just to make sure you acclimate them properly to your water parameters, float the bag for 30 minutes in the tank to match the temp, then over the next hour or two, slowly add tank water in to the bag... you can either do this with an air line and the bag below the tank, or just slowly add a little water from a clean cup. i usually try to get about 3-4 times the amount of water in the bag that it had when i got it. Then make sure you dont pour that water in the tank.... (that is the way i do it, never lost a fish due to acclimation)

I have a 20G tank with 13 tetras and 4 danios (GloFish are genetically altered zebra danios), the pH is usually around 8-8.2 and it doesn't vary much. All of the fish I have in that tank are just fine. IME the "recommended" pH isn't really a big deal, as long as it's stable.

I would get some Malaysian Trumpet Snails. These are nocturnal snails that have really hard shells, and dig through the sand all the time, stirring it up and getting rid of pockets of anaerobic bacteria.

I have some in my 10G tank, and they reproduce pretty quickly

Also, to help balance the PH level, you can always use a piece of Driftwood. Won't do miracles, but may help drop a few decimals. Also looks nice in a tank a provides hiding spots for your fish to feel more "comfortable" in their environment. All you're looking for is a Stable PH and a good water quality.

Back
Top Bottom