starting a new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elchakas

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i have a 60g that used to be saltwater that i now upgraded to a 120g. Now i want to set up my 60g into a community tank.. ived had many freshwater tank for years but this time i want it w/ a natural look... i have couple questions... i want it with alot of plants... now can i use fake plants and.still give it a natural look or live plants insted?.. its cus i dont want to deal w all the lighting and stuff since i got the saltwater...

Second. If i go to the lake and get some driftwood.. whats the process of getting it into the aquarium?..

Im exited and looking very much foward to this build... thanks you guys in advance..

Yeah it's definitely possible to give your tank a natural look with fake plants, but live plants look really good. You don't have to go high tech to grow or sustain real plants.

What do i really need to have real plants?... is it possible to have them just w regular florecent lights?...

I have my live plants under fluval glow lighting and they're doing fine. For the wood it will contain tannins. To get this out put it in a bucket and pour boiling hot water over the wood. Do this twice a day until the water in the bucket is clear instead of red.

No, you don't need live plants. Yes, there are plants that require different amounts of light. There are plenty of plants that you can grow under a standard fluorescent light.

Oohh oks i think ima lean more towards fake plants then and ima do that w the water for the drift wood...

Any one know were i can get fake plants for cheaper than a petstore?..

And another question... since the aquariun is gana be full of plants for the most part.. do i have to vacum the gravel during the waterchanges?.. that would be a pain since all the plants are in the gravel and i would have to aquascape everything again..

Elchakas said:
Oohh oks i think ima lean more towards fake plants then and ima do that w the water for the drift wood...

Any one know were i can get fake plants for cheaper than a petstore?..

And another question... since the aquariun is gana be full of plants for the most part.. do i have to vacum the gravel during the waterchanges?.. that would be a pain since all the plants are in the gravel and i would have to aquascape everything again..

Umm. I would strongly recommend vacuuming. Maybe not on every water change. Just once every two weeks, depending on your stock.

So perty much taking of and putting back on the plants again?.. or whats the best way to do it?

Elchakas said:
So perty much taking of and putting back on the plants again?.. or whats the best way to do it?

I would just vacuum round the plants. Then once a month or something take all of them out and vacuum .

Oh gees i would just imagine the pain and work its gana be.. hahahaha

Any idea were i couls get some fake plants or real plants that i could grow w just florecent lights?..

Back
Top Bottom