starting a new tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edward198

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so if I fill up a tank...

Insert my filter...gravel..decor..plants etc

Ofcourse it would have to cycle before adding fish.. is it safe to add beneficial bacteria and skip the cycling process?

Well, depends on what you mean exactly. Assuming you mean bottled bacteria, I wouldn't trust it. Some people argue about the merits of various bottled bacteria, but I personally am not overly convinced that much of any of it on the market today has any real value. A couple brands seem to have some positive reviews, but most of it seems pretty hit or miss (usually miss). If you did decide to go that route, I don't suggest just trusting it. I would still get a test kit and add some ammonia to make sure it is working before stocking.
If you mean beneficial bacteria from another, cycled tank, that is a good route to take. Again, you might want to still do a little testing, but I find this method more successful.
If the issue is simply that you want fish right away, you can always do a fish-in cycle. As long as you do it slowly and responsibly, there is no reason that any fish would get hurt.
EDIT: oops, I typed too slow. lol

Like absoluteangel said, I wouldnt trust them either. But fish in cycles are fine as long as you are willing to do a lot water changes and take it slow.

I did fish in cycle, took about 5 weeks and a lot of WCs but in the end very worthwhile! Good luck

In answer to your first question I would say, No. Bottled bacteria can help jump start a cycle, if they are the correct kind (not always the case), and are not dead in the bottle(often the case). That being said, they usually still need time to build up a higher population in order to sufficiently protect your fish. If you really don't want to wait I recommend reading about fish-in cycling. You MUST be willing to put the time and effort into doing it right though, because not doing it properly can harm your fish.
Another option is seeing if someone (even the LFS) would give you seeded filter material (essentially used filter material from an established tank) or at least squeezing the gunk out and putting it in your tank, that way you could cycle faster because they would essentially be giving you a bunch of bacteria to help you start. Anyway, be patient and cycle correctly. The last thing you want is to get your fish and watch them all die within a week or two.
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom