Starting a tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Starting a new 50 gal, I want to have a sand substrate however I want the tank to be planted or at least would like that option in the future, any suggestions on what kind of sand or what to do about substrate plant food? Im going to use the stock- corner overflow filter that came built in to the tank, you know the ones where its run by a powerhead? and then I already bought the huge filter pads that you just cut to fit, do you think thats the best filtration i can get for my situation? Any other input will be appreciated.

I just set up a 35 gallon a few weeks ago and I used pool filter sand. It looks great and it was really cheap- $9 for 50 lbs. Got it at a pool supply store. There are substrates made for growing plants but I have never used any so I don't have an opinion. I am not sure what kind of filter you are talking about, but I like Emperors and Aquaclears. My 55 gal has 1 Emperor 280 and 1 Emperor 400 and the water stays really clean. Just curious, what do you want to keep? :D

Some plants like java moss , java fern and hornwort get their nutrients through the leaves and don't have to be planted. Unless you want to go for the full planted tank with big light and co2 you really don't need special substrate. Many plants will do fine with plant tabs or liquid plant food. Most of the special substrates just hold the nutrients for the plant roots better than sand or gravel.

severum mama, I want to keep fish.

no just kidding, i was thinking like some barbs loaches freshwater sharks you know some big exciting stuff with little colorful ones or schools to even things out

Oh, that sounds like a really active and interesting tank! Watch out for barbs and plants though. My barbs (tigers and green) never touched my java fern but they ate the hell out of anything else. :roll:

I have never had an overflow filter before but I do have sand. We used Marine sand that was purchased from the lfs. I don't remember exactly how expensive it was but I donut think it was too awful high, maybe $3 for 5 lbs. I know that compared to the $9 for 50 lbs paying $3 for 5 lbs seems expensive but compared the having gravel, we thought it was very reasonable. I also thought about planting our tank and the lfs gave me several options but said that using sand along with plant food would be sufficient enough, depending on what you want to grow. Just a warning though, purchase a small amount of sand that you intend on putting in your tank, then test it by putting it in water. We made this mistake and have a combination of white/beige/black. It looks really nice but it was a pain to work with. Mainly the black and white. The beige worked perfectly but the white and black balled up and floated to the top. When I went back to the lfs they said that it happens in their tanks also when they use the black or white. If we would have known this we would have only purchased beige. So, just a warning, test it before you purchase 55 lbs of it and get it home and you are not satisfied with how it works.

Good luck with the tank!

Back
Top Bottom