Starting aquarist needing advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geodude18

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI EVERYONE!!

I am new to all of this fish stuff and i am looking for some advice. I have been wanting my own aquarium since I have done maintenance and such on 10+ aquariums at my school. I have done a bit of research but I keep running into conflicting facts.

I have found this aquarium at petsmart that seems like a good start.
(link) - Top Fin 29 Gallon Aquarium Starter Kit | Aquariums | PetSmart

Is this a good starting aquarium? And if so, what else do I need?

As for the fish, I have seen that this is either way too many fish and also too few.

I was thinking:

6 Zebra Danio
4 Mickey mouse Platys
3 otocinclus
5 ghost shrimp

I would like to add more if possible, but if you have any additional fish suggestions, I would be open to them.

Thanks in advance!

That looks good for that kind of sized tank, one thin i would suggest is that the shrimp will be happiest if they have something like java moss to take shelter in.

Make sure you cycle the tank. The stock sounds perfect, except for the oto's. You might want to rethink them because they require algae to live in your tank and they sure do like really established tanks with lots of bacteria and algae to graze on. Tank sounds good though. You could add some kind of bigger fish, maybe some kind of gourami but then you would have t rethink the shrimp as they may become food. Do you have any questions about cycling? Also, are you planning on doing plants?

Ok, I think I will be fine when it comes to cycling. A gourami could be cool, thanks for the suggestion. As for plants, I would love to have some, but I don't want to spend too much money and I am still not sure about the substrate I will be using, so if you have suggestions, I would be open to them.

I have been doing some research about adding a gourami to my tank. I keep seeing that they can be very aggressive and need to be kept in a large aquarium. Nils, what did you have in mind when you said to add a gourami?

Ahh.... A fellow kc area person. Good to see that here.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think a dwarf gourami would be a cool addition. I know that they can get territorial,so do you think my tank is big enough for two or should I stick to one

I would get one dwarf gourami just to be in the safe side.

Instead of the kit i would piecemeal an aquarium. Buy the components seperately from the tank.

The filter, heater, and light on that aquarium arent really that good.

I would avoid the dwarf gourami because of dwarf gourami disease. Unless you have a very reliable source for the dwarf gourami, I would suggest a couple of Honey Gouramis. They are not usually aggressive and do not seem to suffer from the dwarf gourami disease.

Ok, I think I will be fine when it comes to cycling. A gourami could be cool, thanks for the suggestion. As for plants, I would love to have some, but I don't want to spend too much money and I am still not sure about the substrate I will be using, so if you have suggestions, I would be open to them.

You can use sand and root tabs for less than planted substrates. Many plants can be bought online for cheaper or equivalent to fake plants and decor.

Take a look at sparkling and honey gourami

Caleb

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I appreciate the feedback. I have considered all of your suggestions, but I think I want a pearl gourami. Is that a terrible idea? I have read that the danios would stress them out but also that they should be fine together. Which is it? Also, no that I have done some more reading on otos, I think I would like to replace them for another easier, bottom level fish. Thanks in advance!!!

I guess it just depends on the individual gourami. Danios are very fast swimmers and can easily freak out a slow, graceful gourami. Some may do ok, but I don't think I would try it.

Alright, I am set on a gourami. I would prefer a pearl gourami (I love their colors), but would not mind another species if it means I could give it better care. As for the other fish, I wouldn't mind changing anything in the tank as long as I can get a gourami. What other fish would you recommend to keep with one?

PS: I hope I am not being a nuisance, I just really ant to make sure everything is perfect. ;)

Hey, no prob for the questions. A pearl should be the best bet beside a dwarf as they only get 4in unlike a gold or three spot. I would suggest a school of smaller tetras like the flame or neons that don't swim as fast to replace the danios.
A school of panda cories or other small breed to give you some activity at the bottom would be good too if you want

Back
Top Bottom