Starting betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike81494

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, new to the site and I know it's a pretty basic question but I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. Any advice/suggestions for my betta setup? I bought a beautiful crowntail that's white and red with greenish hints and for the fish I bought 5.5 gal tank with an integrated filter and led strip. There are some ornaments in the tank but no live plants. I got everything set up and after a few days of not eating he seems to be doing very well. Im completely new to aquariums but just want to make sure I'm doing everything right because he's probably the coolest betta I've ever seen and I just want him to be healthy.

Seems like I a no brainier but do you have a heater for him? Other than that, Ii would just say stay on top of your water parameters. When we had a cold snap in April one of our betta tanks hit mid 60's, so I Found an adjustable 10gal heater for him.

He was in a 5 gallon as well.

Seems like I a no brainier but do you have a heater for him? Other than that, Ii would just say stay on top of your water parameters. When we had a cold snap in April one of our betta tanks hit mid 60's, so I Found an adjustable 10gal heater for him.

He was in a 5 gallon as well.

No heater..the house stays really warm, like mid to upper 70s. And when I say I'm new I mean it so I'm not to sure what you mean when you say water parameters. And elaboration appreciated!

And when I say I'm new I mean it so I'm not to sure what you mean when you say water parameters. And elaboration appreciated!

Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. These are the biggest concerns in my opinion. There are other parameters like KH, PH, etc. I would purchase an API master test kit if you have not already done so. In addition, look into live aquatic plants. Bettas like to lounge in plant foliage and the plastic plants rip their fins. Hornwort or Cabomba are perfect plants for Bettas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the delay in answering you. Dcutl002 nailed it.

My computer had a meltdown last Friday, hence the delay.

Seems like you are doing everything right! I'm sure he has a beautiful fins, make sure those decorations can't rip them. You can do the pantyhose test by rubbing panyhose on the decorations to see if it rips. If it snags it probably means your bettas fins will too.

Back
Top Bottom