starting cycling the 150 gal soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipedreamer86

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, its set up, its been running a few days with the pen-plax cascade 1500 filter and one 300 watt heater. I had a few questions though. I have a pump and one more 300 watt heater coming in the mail, but the heater I have now is holding the water steady around 80 degrees, do I really need the second heater? It seems like it will be overkill. Next, I want to do a fishless cycle using the pure ammonia method. I have a cycled 10g tank 1) would taking some gravel from that tank, and decor even really speed things up at all? I mean we are talking about seeding a tank 150X its size. It seems like it would be.negligible. 2) any estimates on how long this process will take? With a tank this size I was thinking a month. Anyone have any estimates. Lastly, this tank is not decorated at all yet, I am still looking for exactly what I want and can't find it anywhere.(that's another post) will this matter? I know that it helps to have things for the bacteria to grow on, will this slow things down?

Some gravel and decor would help. Anything from an established tank. It won't cycle the tank for you, but it will probably speed it up. I don't think you need the other heater if the other is keeping it at 80. As for time of cycle, there is really no way to estimate, every tank is different. For instance, some people's tanks have cycled in 3 weeks, mine took 11 weeks. There is no way to tell.

Oh, and how the heck did you get that yoda?

Thanks, the heater said it was only for 100g but its working this 150 fine. I was just worried about over working it and burning it out. Guess I will take some gravel and stuff to help seed it soon.

What's a yoda?

I have a 220g and I have 3-300 watt heaters. Your one may be keeping the tank at 80 but odds are the water is cooler than that the further away from the heater it gets. Using dual heaters not only allows for better heat distribution but also allows for back up if one heater goes down.

Where you going to add any live plants? Plants can also speed cycling up.

I don't know a whole lot about plants, I've just been looking into fish. Plus with the ph of my tank being around 8 I thought live plants were not really any option. If you could tell me some plants that can handle the ph I'd love to add some, I am using sand substrate if that helps, I would prefer plants that don't need special lighting right at first. This is my first BIG aquarium so I'm taking baby steps.

I planned on hooking up the second heater anyway, I already bought it so why not, right?

First a "yoda" is the thing you put in between "15" and "its" in your first post.

Plants aren't out of the question, I have plants and my pH is 8-8.2. I would go with low-light plants such as Java Ferns, Java Moss, Crypts, Anubias, and Anarchis. They don't need fertilizers or a special light.

bud29 said:
First a "yoda" is the thing you put in between "15" and "its" in your first post.

Plants aren't out of the question, I have plants and my pH is 8-8.2. I would go with low-light plants such as Java Ferns, Java Moss, Crypts, Anubias, and Anarchis. They don't need fertilizers or a special light.

What kinds of fish do you keep? Sounds like we have similar water parameters.

bud29 said:

Oh and on my phone it said 150 X larger no yodas hahaha

Back
Top Bottom