Starting fishless cycle ... with mussel...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissa1977

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everybody,
im new here and I have a special question.

Can you start a fishless cycling using a boilled mussels ? I really don't want to harm any fishies so I prefer doing a fishless cycle... and I have a hard time finding pur ammonia here in Montreal, quebec...
Any suggestiongs... ???

Thank you
Mélissa :D

You certainly can do it, or with a shrimp, or whatever. The drawback is that there may be some odor to deal with.

Oh - you will get better breakdown and ammonia production if the mussel is raw, rather than cooked.

Thank you for the information...

Is there any other way of starting the cycle ? I live in a 1 1/2 apt, im not too sure about the bad smell. 8O
I heard something about cycling with plants... Im planning of getting my tank planted at about 50 %.
Is that really possible ? How long would it take ? :?

Very good suggestion, swanandmokashi! Just put some in there every day like you are feeding imaginary fish-

I'm surprised that you can't find household ammonia in a drug store or garden supply store there. That said, fish food sounds fine, but it would also be nice to have some gravel or a filter pad from someone else's established tank to seed the nitrifying bacteria you'll be feeding.

Back
Top Bottom