Starting It Up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsongy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I finally will have all the stuff I need to get my project going this weekend. My worry is the cycling time, I want to do the fishless cycle recommended in the article on this site, but I do not know anyone that has a fish tank that I can borrow an item from for the step that it calls for. So I will have to do it the old and slow way unless there is an alternative?

My question is, once I went through the cycle time and I introduced my fish, what does everyone use as a weekly water treatment for the tank and/or fish? I am planning on having African Cichlids.

One more question, I have a 100W heater for a 29G tank, should I get another 100W? I usually have my home temperature set at 73 degrees.

Thanks in advance!
Gerald

If you use pure ammonia, the cycle could take anywhere from 3-6 weeks. I do weekly water changes of 50% for most of my fish, except my discus they get an extra 25%.

I have a 100w heater on my 29 gal tank has worked good for 4 years.

You don't need to seed the aquarium with beneficial bacteria to do fishless cycle, it will just take a little longer to complete.

I do weekly H2o changes of 50% and I use Prime when I add the water back in as a dechlorinator it is great and last for ever. And If you have not already gotten it or heard of it I would suggest getting a python the make water changes much easier and faster.

Yeah, about that python...I know what it is and how it works, but have one question about it since the topic has popped up. From what I've seen, the python hooks to your sink faucet and uses its suction to draw the water through the hose and into the sink drain. Really cool, I've also heard that you can then flip the switch and the water from the faucet goes back through the tube and into the tank.

BUT, my question is, how do you dechlorinate the water that comes from the tap? Can you add water conditioner before you put the tap water back in without harming the fish? Just wondering before I buy.

Yeah, about that python...BUT, my question is, how do you dechlorinate the water that comes from the tap? Can you add water conditioner before you put the tap water back in without harming the fish? Just wondering before I buy.

The safest thing is to add enough dechlorinator for the entire aquarium to the aquarium before refilling. Many have reported adding the dechlorinator while filling or after filling with no ill effects. This will depend in part on the parameters of your source water and the hardiness of the aquarium inhabitants.

You don't need to seed the aquarium with beneficial bacteria to do fishless cycle, it will just take a little longer to complete.

So without the item in question, it will take longer, I just skip this step? Cool, thanks.

Gerald

The safest thing is to add enough dechlorinator for the entire aquarium to the aquarium before refilling. Many have reported adding the dechlorinator while filling or after filling with no ill effects. This will depend in part on the parameters of your source water and the hardiness of the aquarium inhabitants.

Wow, I was not thinking about the water conditioner when refilling the tank after the water change, I am buying the Python tomorrow.

So all I need to do is add the recommended dosage to the tank before I refill and all should be fine? I bought API's Stress Coat for my water conditioner. It says it removes chlorine and chloramines plus other stuff. Is this ok?

I went to Petco to buy my gravel and decor and other stuff and nobody asked if I needed help, can you believe that? I took that because they did not know what they were doing and I was better off, was I?

Thanks, Gerald

I'm not particularly fond of Stress Coat, but is should work fine. I'd recommend going with Prime in the future. Dosage is less so it ends up being quite cost effective and is a very good all around dechlorinator.

I second the recommendation for Prime.

WHen I PWC my tanks, even my large ones, I'll add the dechlorinator as I go. For instance, my 125. It takes 15-20 minutes to refill when I do a 25% PWC. I add the dechlor 1/4 at the start, then another 1/4 of the recommended dosage every several minutes.

Most of your beneficial bacteria are in your filtration system, which should be off during PWCs. So, they're not being affected by the new water as you're refilling your tank.

Back
Top Bottom