Starting My 55 Gallon Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilikefishes

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a used 55g with a unattractive black stand (IMO) a couple months back. I never got the motivation to start it up. But since my 19th Birthday is on the way, everyone is asking what I want for my b-day and I just finally decided I want the essentials to start my 55g up (I'm aquiring the very pricey stuff and fish on my own). My plans are:

Fishless Cycle

Equipment:

Eco Complete Substrate - Black
Coralife T5 HO 39" inch Lights.
Fluval 305 Canister Filter
Aquaclear 70 Filter
AquariumPlants.com's Pressurized Co2 System

New Fish + My 29g current stock:

1 Pleco (29g)
2 Blue Platys (29g)
10 Congo Tetras
12 Neon Tetras (including my current 6)
1 Red Tailed Black Shark (29g)
1 Male Betta (29g)
6 Boesmani Rainbow Fish (for breeding in my 29g, which will be empty when I get this going) ("including my current 2")

Once I have the lighting, substrate, and cycle ready I'll be moving all of my fish in to the 55g. Is the amount of fish I have listed too much for a 55g? And let me know what you all think.

This thread will have a new update and picture update every time I bring in a new aquisition.
This thread will be updated heavily starting May 23rd.

Congrats!

If you haven't started buying equipment yet, go for a 48" light instead of the 39" (I actually assume you meant 39W which is a 36" T5HO bulb). This will give you better end to end coverage.

Also, why are you mixing a canister filter and a HOB? The fluval should be sufficient on it's own, the HOB will just cause offgassing of the CO2 it looks like you're planning to inject.

I was planning on using the hob for a little extra mechanical and bio filtration, to keep the canister clean a little bit longer. I noticed in Brutus's 90 Gal thread that he uses a HOB for that reason as well as a canister. But if it's not a good idea then I'll ditch the HOB. And oops, I don't know how I ended up writing 39" haha.

Extra filtration is good, but if you lose all the CO2 you're injecting, you're wasting money and inviting algae problems. A tightly fit top will help with CO2 loss due to a HOB filter, but it won't eliminate it. I've had luck with using a Versa-Top. I cut the back strip to fit my filters very closely and fill the tank so that the water is touching the glass.

I would just go with a fluval 405 with a spray bar instead of doing the HOB and canister. I dont think the HOB will do much good keeping the canister cleaner longer, all 3 of the canisters on my 150g are just as dirty now as the two were before adding the last one.

It is. He isn't really growing though. I don't know how to get rid of him since he's my girlfriends favorite fish.

The pleco is your girlfriend's favorite? Most girls think they're ugly. You could always offer to replace it with a bristlenose or rubberlip. Those only get to about 4" instead of the 18"+ the common will reach.

Explain to her the the pleco will suffer because he won't have enough room to live as he should, re-home that one and go for a smaller one. :)

Ok, this is taking a lot longer than I expected to get this thing up and running. I'm waiting on being able to afford the Lighting before I move on the all the next steps. Hopefully over the summer I can begin getting this tank up and running. Sorry everyone.

Finally got the Fluorite Black sand on the bottom and Fluorite Black gravel on top. Currently running an AC70 and AC50 (cycled) to accelerate the 70, but it seems to be keeping Ammonia and Nitrite at 0, with two platys and a betta, and my Rotala Indica tucked in the back. Will be adding more fish from my 29g tomorrow. And driftwood in about two days. Here are a couple of pictures.

photo.php

photo.php

Awesome, thanks man. I will have them upoloaded in a few because photobucket takes forever on my computer.

Back
Top Bottom