Starting my 65G Tank and heading to Australia for 3 months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmohamma

Aquarium Advice Regular
After 15 years of dreaming of having a fish tank, finally I ordered my 65G tank with a nice stand in Denver CO.
Shortly after it arrived, I was excited to set it up, so I got a mix of sea chem flourite, medium and small size gravel and mixed it all up for a good substrate. I got an Eheim 4+ 350 and the outlets are like a fire hose. In short I'm broke now. :)

I planted several bunches of jungle val, anubias, and one other type which I can't remember the name (but a hardy plant which doesn't require CO2 injection)..... and then.... boss asked me to travel to Australia for 3 months for work. How do I take care of my new passion and satisfy my lust to discover new countries?

I talked to my LFS, and they suggested, I either dry up the tank and leave it empty and come back, or get some fish and start an ecosystem which would be self sustaining. As a result, I added 6 red velvet swordtails which have been very happy for the past 4 days. 2 males and 4 females. Unfortunately, 1 of the males is chasing the other male away so much that the weaker one is sitting in the corner by the filter intake :hide:. I guess that's nature. I just didn't know swordtails would fight hard to get to whole harem to themselves.

Now that the tank is happy and mostly everybody is getting along, I'm heading for Australia for 3 months and the girlfriend will be feeding the fish. I tried to automate the tank as much as possible. The light (Finnex Plant +) automatically comes on and off for 12 hrs a day. Also, since it's still cycling, I was advised not to do any water changes for at least the first 2 months. Speaking of cycling, the API test so far is not showing much increase in the levels of ammonia. For a 65G tank with 6 fish, when should I anticipate the ammonia levels to go up? or will it be so small, that I won't detect it? Should I check after 1 or 2 weeks?

When I come back, eventually, I'd like to have a schooling fish like zebras or tetras, and several angel fish as the main focus.

Any comments or suggestions from the gurus before I let this tank on its course? I guess I didn't want to have an empty tank collect dust. Plus, my girlfriend is very much liking it and I'm sure she'll take care of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2993.jpg
    IMG_2993.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 54
Empty the tank and start fresh when your back. You'll cause un- needed stress while abroad and potentially come home to the most disgusting cleanup of your life (unless you sucked a skunk into a ride on lawnmower)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also, there is a chance that the fishes may not survive the cycle. Best to warn your gf about that!

My suggestion - return fishes to lfs and start fresh when you're back. That way you have a chance to monitor the tank when it's cycling.

Totally wrong advice on not changing water during cycling process. You can probably read up sticky thread in this forum on fishless and fish-in cycling on your plane ride after you're tired of watching movies :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Congrats on the new tank and travel opportunity!
The advice given "Also, since it's still cycling, I was advised not to do any water changes for at least the first 2 months." would be appropriate in a tank with NO fish. Within that 2 month span, the ammonia will spike and then gradually fall (may take several weeks or more). The ammonia level during the spike may be at a toxic level. On the plus side, it may take a while for th ammonia to build up due to the low number of fish present. The best thing you can do is regularly monitor the ammonia and do partial water changes as needed to keep the ammonia at a safe level.

Thanks Fresh2o,

What is considered safe level? is 1.0 ppm safe?

Not sure if I'd consider that [1.0 ppm] a safe level. I believe most folks would say zero or 0.5 or less.
Reduced feeding will help decrease ammonia levels (less nutrients introduced into the closed system).
You may want to work out a water change schedule during your absence. A python like system would be ideal for that tank volume but not always feasible/practical. The bucket method can be a pain but sometimes there are no alternatives to it. Even a small change is better than nothing. Again, that would be dictated by the test results.

Back
Top Bottom