Starting new 20 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

incodwetrust

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!
Just received a 20 gallon tank for Christmas and I am really excited to get started.
It came with a Tetra ex 20 filter, but I went to a local fish store today and he talked me into getting an under gravel filter as well and now after doing some research it seem that they are not a good added filter! I feel as if I was just taken advantage of! Anyone here have any success/tips with a UG filter?

I'm hoping to get my water cycling started ASAP, the stand is being assembled as I type!

I have a fluval c3 filter in my 26 gallon. It works great!

It's not UG but so far (knock wood) it's been perfect

I'd return the ug and get something rated for 30-40 gal, I just put a aqueon 30 in my new 20g.also see if you can get some filter media from your Lfs or a friend to kick start the cycle.

Return the under gravel filter, they suck!
Swap up to a nice hang on back like an Aquaclear 30 or even a 50

Return the under gravel filter, they suck!
Swap up to a nice hang on back like an Aquaclear 30 or even a 50

Unfortunately, I can't return it :( the guy set it up for me and made it seem like he was doing me a huge favor :(

Hello!
Just received a 20 gallon tank for Christmas and I am really excited to get started.
It came with a Tetra ex 20 filter, but I went to a local fish store today and he talked me into getting an under gravel filter as well and now after doing some research it seem that they are not a good added filter! I feel as if I was just taken advantage of! Anyone here have any success/tips with a UG filter?

I'm hoping to get my water cycling started ASAP, the stand is being assembled as I type!

I've found plants can grow into them and block the slots. I've only used them with gravel and about 20 years ago, not sure what the design is like now but I also used to have sucker catfish disappear down them for days. Nowadays I haven't seen them in the shops, largely they have been replaced by HOBs and better internal filters. I just wouldn't get an ug filter now - why was it suggested can I ask?

Well you have to be careful of dead zones in them. I've never had that trouble but will see if I can find the article.

I've found plants can grow into them and block the slots. I've only used them with gravel and about 20 years ago, not sure what the design is like now but I also used to have sucker catfish disappear down them for days. Nowadays I haven't seen them in the shops, largely they have been replaced by HOBs and better internal filters. I just wouldn't get an ug filter now - why was it suggested can I ask?

He said it would be the "best biological filter" for the tank. I went to this pale because it has been around for a long time. I've been reading a bit more and it says with proper maintenance it can be effective...

No, but it is out if the packaging and the store has strict return policies
I'd personally be hesitant to use something that would require tearing up my entire tank to service, as well as the limitations with rooted Plants delapool had mentioned..if it makes you feel any better I have a box of perfectly good filters,air pumps, decorations. You'll find once you start the hobby and you like it a simple trip to Lfs for some food say can turn into a $100 dollar day real quick;)

lol - the fish flakes are just a good excuse :)

Can't find the article but mainly the comment was to have a good gravel vac schedule to keep it clean.

I know that some people run them backwards. Meaning you force the water down the pipe into the UG and it comes up from the gravel. This can actually be a very effective means of keeping the gunk off the bottom and eliminating dead spots.
However it won't be serving as your bio filter. But it will be better than running it as an UG.

I'd personally be hesitant to use something that would require tearing up my entire tank to service, as well as the limitations with rooted Plants delapool had mentioned..if it makes you feel any better I have a box of perfectly good filters,air pumps, decorations. You'll find once you start the hobby and you like it a simple trip to Lfs for some food say can turn into a $100 dollar day real quick;)

No, my tank is not fully assembled yet. Thanks for making me feel better about my first purchase :)

Under gravel filters are superb... if one knows how to use them. They are kind of old school but man do they work, best bang for the buck! Call me old school but just think how much beneficial bacteria they hold, as threnjen mentioned, some people run them in reverse mode. I'm showing my age here but years ago you would not run a salt water tank without one!
Fast forward to today, I would not use one simply because canisters and overhang filters are more convenient to use and maintain.

Back
Top Bottom