Starting New Tank- Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hockeymat79

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am planning on buying a 55g tank, have not decided what to put in it yet. Here are my Ideas, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I definitely want some tiger barbs, maybe a small school of about 6
I like silver dollars, 1-3? I would like to have a planted aquarium so i do not know how many i could have safely.
1 otocinclus cat and a few cory cats to keep the uneaten food and algae in check

as for plants, i was thinking some anubias
a little dwarf hairgrass
and some amazon swords?

please let me know what you think, or what i should put in/take out.

Silver dollars would ruin your planted tank so I wouldn't add any. Tiger barbs are really active so it wouldn't be a peaceful planted tank. I would add a pair or trio of angelfish with a school of rummy nose tetras, some sterbai corydoras, and the Otos.

Could I take out the plants and replace with some fake ones to keep the silver dollars?

I agree silver dollors grow large and if they think the plant is real it will be floating on top daily. As the other comment said, tiger barbs are active and also fin nippers. Some of the new forms of rosy barbs are very nice and a schoal of Galaxy Danios would make your tank rock with color. Select Aquatics has some really outstanding Odessa Barbs that would look great as well. The cory cats, go for something unusual not just the same old same old. Gauramis would look nice for the top level and you could throw in a Paridise or Betta. If you're going to do the plants get some shrimp to off set the other critters.

Otos need to be kept in a small school to feel comfortable and I would probably wait until the tank is established to add them. Have you ever thought about the true Siamese algae eaters?

I would do a school of at least 6 cory cats in a 55g, but imho 10 would be a great number. It will give them a nice presence in the aquarium and lots of activity in the lower levels.

I've had absolutely terrible luck with DHG, but if you have the lighting for it then go ahead. I wish I could grow a nice carpet of it in my 55.

Back
Top Bottom