Starting New Tank: The Candy Bin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Such a cool container for a tank. I once found a couple of those behind a Shopko store and ended up keeping mice in one.

SEALED!
YES!
:D
WOOT!
NO LEAKS!
Gonna fill it up overnight just to be super sure, but as of this typing, no leaks whatsoever.
I've got a ton of Rotala Indica and java moss sitting in my other tank just waiting to go into this thing! Huzzah! :D

Just a pic of it filled up. :) That's my didgeridoo behind it.

Should I raise the water level at all?

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 67
I think it looks great. Don't be suprised if you see me with 1 of these soon. ;)

The water level looks good, i just wanted to tell you to not put the plants in until you have a cycled tank so that it cycles faster do to the fact the plants use up the ammonia source.

Alright, gotta take a little break on this to work on some school related things. Will post pics tomorrow/the next day.

Yup yup! It's all set up, filter running and cycling away! :)

Too much substrate you think?

Just got the heater in this morning, so no fish till later today. I'm gonna use some zebra danios from my 10G to push the cycle along.

~LL

Attachments

• IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 46
Looks nice. Substrate seems fine. I wouldn't put fish in there though because it is very harsh on them. Just put fish food in there and it will be like having fish. Btw, have you tested the water yet?

I didn't think it was gonna look as nice as it does, I'm impressed though, it looks really nice already, hope everything goes ok with it, as in no leaks and stuff.

I like it, i think the amount of substrate is good. 2 things though. like aquarium1 said i would push the cycle with throwing fish food in there every night. Putting fish in the tank to cycle with is alot of hassle because you have to keep the fish alive and most of the time they do not survive, so just throw some fish food in there every night. The other thing is i would take the plants out because that will slow the cycle. Can you supply a pic of the light on the tank? I am curious what it looks like. Looks good though. What kind of substrate is that?

Heheh, the light... :rolleyes: I kept it out of frame cause it's a desk lamp. That's flourite I'm using as substrate, mixed with a handful or two of gravel from my 10G. And okey-dokey on the fish food.

I stuck the moss in just cause it looked a little too empty. :p Takin' it out!

The reason I was going to use my danios was that they've been pests to my tetras in my 10G, thought some alone time might calm them down. (or make room for other fish...) But, I guess I do have a new 32 Gal I could put them in... Not much money for anything else to go in that tank though.

Last edited:
Holy cow!!! Like another poster said, i totally didnt see it looking like this. To think this used to have M&M's or Jelly Beans or Gummy Worms in it!!! Great Job, you have really inspired me, no everything i look at could possibly make a tank.

Just a-cycling away! Ammonia's at zip. Nitrates/ites are... Well I suppose I should've gotten a more thorough test kit. Stuck a few white clouds in there to give me something to look at. They've been doing fine. Oh and no leaks to report. :)
~LL

Back
Top Bottom