Starting out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samt1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Guys, I have just joined the world of Aquariums.

I have bought a Fluval Roma 90 Tank and cabinet, all set up, water in on Sunday, pump, heater all going. Bought a couple of plants and a piece of wood to start the decor off. I have added the chemicals that came with it as per the bottles. I am planning to leave it a week before adding any fish (been told that is a good time to leave it) Any other suggestions for what to do to prepare for the first few fish? Also any suggestions on what fish are good to get the tank going.

(Trying to upload a couple of pics but not sure how to)

Regards
Sam

Get some tetras, mollies, swordtails, sharks, and any algae eater.

Great, thanks for that, I'll look at them at the weekend, and choose one of them to be my first addition, gonna then add to it every couple of weeks and see how I get on.

samt1 said:
Great, thanks for that, I'll look at them at the weekend, and choose one of them to be my first addition, gonna then add to it every couple of weeks and see how I get on.

Sound good. Good luck and welcome to AA

Sound good. Good luck and welcome to AA

Thank you, the guy at the shop said to take a sample of the water and they would test it to see how it is, will have had a good week to get settled I would hope, read that putting a bit of food in now would help as well?

Thank you, the guy at the shop said to take a sample of the water and they would test it to see how it is, will have had a good week to get settled I would hope, read that putting a bit of food in now would help as well?

it helps but not like a miracle. i forget what it helps but ya its good. you don't need it.

Welcome to AA :)

I think you'll quickly find that leaving the tank sit for a week will do little towards preparing your tank for fish. Every new tank goes through a cycling period. (Google nitrogen cycle in aquariums.) Basically, fish waste makes ammonia in the tank. Naturally occuring Bacteria begins to grow in the tank and converts the ammonia to something called NitriIte. More bacteria grows and converts the NitrIte into NitrAte. Build up of ammonia and nitrite can kill fish rather quickly; NitrAte is not as harmful to them. In the cycling progress, you will have spikes of ammonia and nitrite because the bacteria is still growing, but after a few weeks the bacteria will take over and will be able to keep up with any ammonia your fish produce. When ammonia and nitrite reach 0 in your tank, it is considered fully cycled. In the mean time, you often have to do daily water changes to keep the ammonia/nitrite down or it will kill your fish. (Anything over .25ppm is harmful.) You can avoid all this by fishless cycling and AA has some great explanatory links available if you would like to check them out.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ady-have-fish-what-now-116287.html#post983258

My advice? Get yourself a good water test kit as soon as possible. Liquid test kits are more reliable then test strips and a popular brand is API. Most chain pet stores like Petco and Petsmart carry them and they are very important because they enable you to test your water as you are going through the cycling process.

Hold on a sec... A week is not long enough before you add fish! Ditch the bottle, and pet store advice, and read the link in my signature, or if your on the app, look up the fishless cycling for dummies thread. Let's not let the pet store clerks steal more of your money. Dang it! Colleansmom and her speedy fingers beat me too it!lol :D

Thanks for the replies, really didn't think you needed to do that much before getting the fish. Need to get myself a tester kit and see what state I'm at and go from there.

Thanks for the replies, really didn't think you needed to do that much before getting the fish. Need to get myself a tester kit and see what state I'm at and go from there.

exactly what u need to do. The best tester kit is the API freshwater master kit.
its pricey but worth every penny.

I ordered the Test Kit this afternoon from a shop on Ebay, £18 + £2.95 p&p so thought that was quite good. So hopefully that will help me keep my water in tip top condition, soon all the worlds fish will want to come and live in my tank :)

I ordered the Test Kit this afternoon from a shop on Ebay, £18 + £2.95 p&p so thought that was quite good. So hopefully that will help me keep my water in tip top condition, soon all the worlds fish will want to come and live in my tank :)

hahaha exactly. GOOD LUCK

Back
Top Bottom