Starting out fresh after several years absence from fish aquariums.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShaiTan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been away from fish for several years now and am looking at starting up my 20L once again. I plan on scraping out all the old silicone and putting new silicone in the whole tank. Yes it's been that long (10+ years). It's amazing that I kept the tank in tact this whole time. At least I hope, as I have not put any water in it yet. But if it leaks, then I guess I'll get a new one.

This is my plan for a fresh water habitat so far....

1. Dr. Fosters and Smith Bio System Power Filter & Oxy Surface Skimmer CD-29161. 225gph.

2. 2 x 50w heaters. In case one fails there is still heat in the tank.
Any good suggestions on a cheap but good quality heater?

3. Some sort of airstone/bubble wall for airation.

4. Custom plexiglass hood lighting. Still have to build that part yet. Undecided on live plants or plastic plants.

5. Some sort of gravel or sand. Or maybe a mixture of both? Or other substrate for water hardness requirements.

As far as fish are concerned. I don't know for sure exactly what kind I will be getting. So far the only sure thing is....

1. A Banjo Catfish or two.
2. Some sort of Plecostomus. Something under 4" or there about. After all it's a 20L they will be living in.

I would love to have a Black Ghost Knifefish but I think they get too big for a 20L.

And yes I do know about fish compatability issues. Made that mistake once. Won't do that again. As well as water quality, pH, hardness compatability and the like. I generally kept my tanks around 7.0 pH and soft to very low hardness. But I am willing to change that if needed.

In the past I have never been able to keep plants alive for any length of time. But I would love to make it happen this time around. Plastic plants are ok. But can be a little too colorful and artificial looking. I like the more realistic look. So any advice on lighting for live plants would be appreciated. If I could use T-8 linear flourescent tube lights that would be great. As I already own several Sylvania QTP3x32T8/UNV ISN-SC and Sylvania QTP4x32T8/UNV ISN-SC ballasts. That is if they will work for the type of lights required. Which I am sure they will.

Oh as far as cycling the tank. I will most likely do what most on here don't like to do. And that is use live fish for cycling. But they will be feeder goldfish. As I also have 3 Western Paint turtles that could use the fresh meat :devilish:.

If you have any advice on the setup so far or other options please let me know.

Like I said I have been away from fish aquariums for 10+ years. Don't know how much has changed if anything at all.

Back
Top Bottom