Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Gundy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI
I almost regret it. I want a 40-50 gallon now, and since I got a small 10 gallon, it makes moving it to another location much easier.
Thats the exact reason I bought a couple 10 gallons. I am in college, and at the moment - I am not sure if I'm staying at the place I'm renting. I'd hate to setup a nice 55gal, and then tackle breaking it down to move!

Those kits work great, only thing I don't like are the included bulbs, and the plastic whisper filter.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

So have you lived up to your name and bought a tank on an impulse buy?

Old 07-11-2007, 03:13 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

A standard tank vs. a long also depends upon the fish. In general, yes, long is always nice, but it can be harder for stands and such.

With cichlids long is very much preferrable, they claim territory, but it's all in terms of surface area (but I wouldn't recommend cichlids, other than maybe a couple shellies, in a tank that size). For angels, tall is preferrable. Neither of those extremes is really good for a community tank though.
Sidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the advice guys!

I'm still looking around the LFS to see where I can get the best tank for me. I don't wanna have to get it and then return in again. But there were a lot of times when I just want to get a tank on a whim. I've seen one that looked like a phone booth! =D

Plus, I'm reading up on the fishless cycling and nitrogen cycle. This hobby is far more complex and interesting than I first imagined. Just want to get everything right when I actually start.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you have room and funds, go for a 55 gallon. They are long and have the most versatile stocking options. I would buy the tank and stand from Petsmart if you can't find a used tank. I would order a filter online. Most accessories such as filter, heaters and such are much cheaper online than at the store, especially lfs's. My LFS sells Emperor 400 filters for $100.00, you can buy them online from much less than half of that cost.

Another reason to go with a 55, IMO, is for health reasons. I have never lost a fish in 55, never had ich or any other illnesses. I seem to lose a fish or two every now and then in my smaller tank(s). I keep the same maintenance schedule, it just seems that more water equals healthier fish.

Just some thoughts, a 20 gallon long would be very cool as well.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have had every thing from a 2 GAL show up to a 240 GAL. and I still kept my 29 GAL tall. It's large enough for 1 or 2 large fish or many small fish. If you go to a larger tank it makes a good QT or hospital tank. Its not so heavy that it needs its own stand. One person can move it if need be. At 36 inches long you can put almost any kind of lighting on it, from 1 20 florescent watt (FW) to 260 watt compact florescent (reef) or MH.
A standard 29 gallon is only 30 inches long. A 30 long is 36 inches long. I kept a 29 on a dresser for a while, and it made me pretty uncomfortable. I'd recommend a stand for anything larger than 15-20 gallons.

If you live anywhere near KY, I'll happily sell you a 55 gallon with stand, hoods, and Emperor 400. PM if interested.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:51 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Just remember, the bigger the tank, the easier to maintain due to a larger water volume. So get the biggest tank that your budget allows for. I like my 26G bowfront and my 29G standard. Both are a great starter tank, and doesn't have as many limiting factors as a 10G does.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:23 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agreed, either one of those setups is much better for a beginner than a 10 gallon!

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com