Starting over - advice appreciated for 29G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goosta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Long story short, I gave up on fishkeeping and my 29G tank has been sitting empty in my home office for over a year collecting dust.

I'd like to try again, with hopes that I will be successful this time. I would like to try live plants again, even though I had a difficult time last time. I'm planning to stick to low-tech setup, with plants like anubias, java fern and other low light plants. Any suggestions on other plants to consider? Is it best to plant heavily from the start? If so, how would I know how much is enough? I have Flourite to use as the substrate.

Secondly, what would be easy fish to keep? I live in Central Texas and have hard water with a high pH from the tap (around 8.2 or so). I would like to keep the stocking level on the low side for easier maintenance. At this point, I'm not picky about fish. Would love fish that are tough, easy to find and affordable. Am I asking too much? :)

I have a 29G tank (30.25" wide x 12.5" deep x 18.75" tall).

If anyone has any thoughts/advice to share, I would really appreciate it! Would really love to get my aquarium established again for my family and myself to enjoy. Thank you!

IMG_0458.jpg
Java fern, crypts and moss. A little dwarf sag. In sand with root tabs. No fish just shrimp and snails.

This is my 29. More java fern, some buce, Italian vals and bolbitis. Again all sand with root tabs.IMG_0462.jpg

Livebearers like guppies platys and mollies like hard water. They are also hardy, easy to find and relatively cheap depending on how fancy you want to go.
Shrimp, snails and crabs also like hard water.

Livebearers like guppies platys and mollies like hard water. They are also hardy, easy to find and relatively cheap depending on how fancy you want to go.
Shrimp, snails and crabs also like hard water.

Thanks for the suggestions! I do like guppies, but I would need to get only males, because they reproduce rapidly right?

I always recommend people to plant heavily from the start. It makes the tank look nicer from the start, gives a better chance of plants doing well and algae not taking over and it also helps to use possible toxic things like nitrates. I don't fell to much is ever to much :) but im a plant guy and love tanks filled to the rim with them. When I start a tank I try to plant it so that 70% of the substrate I want covered is covered. I then just let the other 30% slowly grow in. Personally I have a disposition towards dirted tanks so I would say give that a try.

For livestock maybe try some type of tetra or danio? there are a wide variety of them that live in everything from 65-80 degree water more or less and ph of 5-8 so I'm sure you could find something. Neon or cardinal tetras are pretty versatile.

Last edited:
Very nice! Thanks for sharing. I really like Italian vals and tried that in the past, but they really never grew and slowly died off. Any trick to growing it?

The root tabs really help. Expect some melt. Acclimate before planting just like you would new fish.

All males work for guppies, maybe even platys. Molly males get territorial so only females and a plan for the fry.
Like Goatnad said tetras and danios are also hardy but I reccomend cardinals over neons. Black skirt tetras seem to be pretty hardy and easy to find but get nippy if you don't have a big enough school.
If you don't want the boring striped danios then maybe you can find the leopard variety.
Rasboras are also very hardy.

A wide range of fish can be kept in 8.2 pH as fish adapt to pH. The more important tests are GH, KH and TDS.

With low light plants all you really need is liquid fertilizer like Thrive.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom