Starting over in a 20 high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sdimatties

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We're going to start looking at restocking the tank. It's mainly my son's tank, but he doesn't get final say on it since I take care of it. I would like to do something with a betta as a centerpiece. I don't think I have the time or knowledge to do a sorority though I would love to. I won't put the betta in until the end as it would be the most territorial.

Does anyone have any suggestions on tank mates? I'm thinking black neons, mts and I think my son would love shrimp. We've never had shrimp though, so I would need help with what kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A betta will eat any tiny shrimp like cherry, blueberry, crystal, or rili. And it may attack larger shrimp too. With shrimp and bettas it's a hit or miss. Your best bet would probably be amano or bamboo shrimp though.

For stocking I think you should try this:

1 betta (any variety, super deltas are nice)
9 black neon tetras
6 otocinclus
6 peppered corydoras

None of these fish are similar looking to bettas and none have really flash colours so would be great with it.

As long as shrimp and snails reproduce or are cheap, I'm not all that worried about them being eaten. It's just nature and I can't police the tank 24/7. I want to be able to create something colorful, natural and well populated. I think our last batch (6 Odessa barbs, 2 mollies and 1 yoyo loach) was kinda empty. If we go with a betta, it'll be the last fish in the tank. I had tested the water today and it's going through a mini cycle right now so I still have plenty of time to think about stocking.

What about false juli cories? Are the neon tetras the ones that get sick real easy? The guy at my lfs told me today when I was checking their stock that the neons wouldn't work with the betta.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom