Starting over...kind of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stepho725

Aquarium Advice Freak
Had a columnaris outbreak and lost 2 out of 3 bloodfin tetras, male Opaline gourami, and a bamboo shrimp. Everyone else seems okay for now. I guess we will see what happens. So...I still have 3 julii cories, bristlenose pleco, female Opaline, dwarf flame gourami, and 5 neons and a bloodfin....
How can I get the chlorine medicine out of the water? Just carbon and dechlorinator?
What should I add to make up for my losses. I know I was close to overstocked before so maybe just a couple more cories and neons? I know it won't be for several weeks but just curious of suggestions.
Thanks!

Sorry about your fish. Best way to get rid of meds is through water changes and yes adding some carbon to the filter. If you can tell us what size tank we can help with stocking.

So you have one bloodfin tetra? I'd get 1-2 more neons, 5 more bloodfins and one more cory. You'd be at capacity then. FYI the gouramis are likely going to fight at some point as different types of gouramis don't mix well together.

Yes, we've talked about the gourami situation in the past. They really are just fine together. As much as I've seen the Female Opaline go after the Male Opaline (when he was alive...RIP) she has never bothered the dwarf and vice versa. They just touch each other once in a while with their feelers. I know that could change any day and I do keep an eye out for any signs of aggression.
That's a good idea with the tetras. Another question regarding my ammonia...just tested and it was about a 2.0. I bought the ammonia remover media for my aquaclear....why would it be so high with that in there? I got the ammonia remover because it kept coming up as a .25-.50 so I have less fish now and less food and ammonia remover but higher ammonia?? Strange....
Did a 25% water change tonight to try to relieve them a bit.

Could have been the medicine; some antibiotics are very strong and can also deplete the beneficial bacteria in the filter. Test your tap water for ammoia if you haven't already as it's good to see what you're starting with. With ammonia at 2 though I'd do a few 50% water changes to get the number down; a 25% change won't affect the number enough. Vacuum the bottom too as waste and fish food can build up and cause spikes. Just keep testing daily and do extra water changes as needed to keep the levels down until the bacteria can re-form. I wouldn't trust chemicals like ammonia removers anyway; clean dechlorinated water is always better.

Okay I will do a 50% tonight after work. Will the medicine that I put in there continue to wipe out my BB after I've stopped dosing?

Also I usually use Prime during water changes for dechlorinator. Is this going to kill my BB also?? I just finished a 50% change and ammonia was still at a 2 beforehand and I put the prime in without thinking. There was also 15 nitrite and 20 nitrate....does that sound right for a cycling tank?

Also I usually use Prime during water changes for dechlorinator. Is this going to kill my BB also?? I just finished a 50% change and ammonia was still at a 2 beforehand and I put the prime in without thinking. There was also 15 nitrite and 20 nitrate....does that sound right for a cycling tank?

No it wont kill it. Are you doing fish in or fishless?

Fish in. I had an illness take out half my tank and the medicine wiped out my BB.

Fish in. I had an illness take out half my tank and the medicine wiped out my BB.

Was the 15 nitrites a typo or is that really the reading? If so, do a water change NOW! Nitrites that high is toxic, very very toxic! Basically all you need to remember is when ammonia or nitrite is .25 or above do a water change, anytime nitrates get over 20 do a water change.

Okay so ammonia has been steady at .5 unsure why buy I just got some BB tonight and added it so hoping that may help.
Despite that small problem things are going well and I added some fish tonight!
I'm hoping this is the end of my stocking! *fingers crossed*
So the total count in my 29g issss....***drum roll***
1 Opaline Gourami (female)
1 Flame Dwarf Gourami (male)
4 Black Neons
6 Neons
1 Bloodfin Tetra (again he was left over after the illness)
5 Julii Cories
1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco
So - aside from the potential Gourami problem and the one lonesome Bloodfin Tetra....how'd I do? Am I well stocked?
The only other additions which may be added later will be invertebrates.
Really hoping this was the last stock I needed to add!!
Thanks a million for your help everyone!

Yep, I'd say you're fully stocked. The Opaline is going to get to a good size, about 4-5". It may or may not attack the tetras as it grows, it'll depend on its personality I guess. Given that you added fish when ammonia and nitrites are already high the new fish are going to add to the bioload and toxin levels, so just test diligently and do extra water changes. Also what filter do you have on the tank?

Hmm yeah guess I should've waited a couple more days...but I saw the coolest little Julii Cory at Petco and had to have it. I will try to get a pic later but here's the thing...it looks half panda & half julii! It has the black around the eyes like a panda but the rest is spotted like the julii! Isn't that neat??
Anyways, yes I plan on doing a 25-30% change every day. Possibly more depending on levels and my energy levels. I have a bacterial bloom going on now aka my water is milky looking.
Also on this 29g I have an AquaClear 50. Good, yes? Any thoughts on media? Right now its the biomax, ammonia remover, and sponge...thinking about putting carbon in place of the ammonia remover after my cycle just to get it nice n clear and then maybe 2 sponges with the biomax? Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom