Starting the Conversion to Brackish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlkng1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi All
smile.gif

I am setting up a molly species tank intending to go brackish. Currently, the tank is 40 gallons, set-up with 50 pounds of Aragonite sand (dry, not live sand), some lava rock and a few silk plants, and water obviously
smile.gif

I pre-seeded the tank with some sponges I had "percolating" in another freshwater tank the past three weeks. Tonight, I added two, small, black mollies to help with the final cycling.

I added some salt (Instant Ocean), not a lot, (premixed with distilled water before adding to the tank)
smile.gif
at about 2 full teaspoons for the 40 gallons. I know this won't be nearly enough salt but since I am not done stocking, I don't want to go all the way to brackish just yet. Once I get done stocking, I'll do a full on, over a period of time, conversion.

My question, however, is stocking amounts. Freshwater goes with 1 inch of adult fish per gallon, saltwater is one inch per 3 gallons. Does anyone know the stocking rate for brackish? I'd like to add at least 6 more normal sized mollies of different colors (a pair of each color or lyretail), and possibly one or two pairs of sailfins.

Then again, I saw a bumble bee goby today.......hmmmmmm
smile.gif

The other question is which test kit to use on brackish...fresh or salt?

T

I am almost certain you will need a sw kit...

Actually, believe it or not, you can test a Brackish tank with a Freshwater kit. Although it would really be interesting to see the different results from both tests.

This weekend I am going to have my LFS test my water with both FW & SW testers to compare the differences.

Actually, believe it or not, you can test a Brackish tank with a Freshwater kit. Although it would really be interesting to see the different results from both tests.

This weekend I am going to have my LFS test my water with both FW & SW testers to compare the differences.

hope you dont mind that i posted the link to your thread in here :)

Back
Top Bottom