Starting to see Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M Riley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going into my 1 month and 3rd week of 'Fish in' cycle on my 45 gallon tank. At first I lost 4 fish before I came to this forum for help. A few weeks later, after adding 3 red eye tetras, 3 pristella tetras, and 1 Angel fish (who survived my first loss). I thought I had ich. Thankfully I didn't and continued PWC every other day. A week and a half ago I introduced 4 tetra minors, 1 Angle fish, 3 tiger danios, 2 more red eye tetras, and 2 more pristella tetras. 2 have died, a red eye and a pristella. My Ammonia is at 0 ppm, my Nitrite is at .25-.50 ppm, however I am starting to notice Nitrates. Low readings..... Am I on the right track?

I almost forgot I added two moss balls and a large piece of African driftwood to my tank. I notice my water turning a bit on the yellowish dirty color. I have 2 filters cartridges in there. Is it recommended to add 2 more since the filter can hold 4 cartridges?

If your tank is new, it could be just fine. But if everything is already cycled, make sure to keep on top of your water changes! I go by a, routine of 10% water change weekly, and a 50% (could stress some fish) monthly. Peace Out,
phoenixkiller

M Riley said:
I am going into my 1 month and 3rd week of 'Fish in' cycle on my 45 gallon tank. At first I lost 4 fish before I came to this forum for help. A few weeks later, after adding 3 red eye tetras, 3 pristella tetras, and 1 Angel fish (who survived my first loss). I thought I had ich. Thankfully I didn't and continued PWC every other day. A week and a half ago I introduced 4 tetra minors, 1 Angle fish, 3 tiger danios, 2 more red eye tetras, and 2 more pristella tetras. 2 have died, a red eye and a pristella. My Ammonia is at 0 ppm, my Nitrite is at .25-.50 ppm, however I am starting to notice Nitrates. Low readings..... Am I on the right track?

You are well on your way. (y)
Please do not add any more fish until the cycle is complete. You need to let the bacteria have time to multiply. Once you are getting 0 ammonia and nitrItes and rising nitrAtes you are cycled.

M Riley said:
I almost forgot I added two moss balls and a large piece of African driftwood to my tank. I notice my water turning a bit on the yellowish dirty color. I have 2 filters cartridges in there. Is it recommended to add 2 more since the filter can hold 4 cartridges?

The yellow color is tannin from the wood. It is harmless. Id your filter has room for more media it would be a good idea to add more. More room for bacteria to grow.

Back
Top Bottom