Starting up a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raignis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting a 29g going. The pool filter sand is in and I have it two thirds full at the moment. The water was still pretty cloudy after rinsing off the sand, so I attached one of these around the the power filter intake and cranked it up.

FX5/6 Water Polishing Pads | A246 | Filter Media | Fluval

A couple hours later and the water is almost crystal clear. My question is, I want to put in the API tap water conditioner. Will the carbon insert in my filter negate the conditioner or is it ok to leave it in? I haven't put the biological filter in yet because the conditioner hasn't been done.

I think that will be completely fine to put the conditioner in. Just out of curiosity, what type of setup are you going to do?

Carbon doesn't neutralize water conditioner.

Carbon is honestly not even necessary, so it might be worth removing it and replacing it with something else, maybe some more polishing media.

Weird... I tried to post this last night and it never showed up.

I have seven gold barbs from a current tank that will be going in tomorrow. Then, in a week or two, I'm looking to add three or four corys and top it off with a blue dwarf gourami.

I took out the carbon and cleaned out the filter pad once last night. I added the conditioner and this morning the water was crystal clear.

I've read that corys need a good number to be happy. Would four be enough for this tank?

AqAdvisor puts me at 97% with seven gold barbs, one dwarf gourami and four corys.

Are there any colorful corys? My background is black and my sand is gray and I'm hoping for them to stand out.

I have orange laser cories!
Not your average black and white!
images

Back
Top Bottom