Starting With A 30 gallon tall.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigCDubya

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am new to this site and I just had some questions.

I want to start an aquarium soon I have some questions.

Im going to have a 30 gallon tall aquarium filtered by a Fluval 304. I want to put the following in the aquarium. 2 small fan tail gold fish, 2-3 small angel fish, 1 Tropical Discus, 3-4 fancy guppies and a blue dwarf gourami.

1st question - Is that too many fish for the tank size?

2nd question - Will the above fish be safe to put together?

3rd question - What media will be best for the 304 with this setup.

Thanks, look forward to your answers!

Welcome! Like I said to another person here, I love the pple on this forum, they are so helpful and full of great advice.

I am no expert, but from what I do know I know that goldfish are coldwater fish and can't be kept with tropical fish because the water conditions are different.

I know nothing at all about discus or the other fish though. I would be concerned about the bigger fish eating and harassing the guppies, though.

ps for a change someone is asking the questions before they dive in head first, get in a fix and don't know what to do (um, like I did :) )

That would be too many fish for that tank. +1 for Jess, goldfish shouldn't be used in tropical set ups and those goldfish are enough to stock the tank by theirself. Discus need really warm and extremely clean water and can be pretty difficult to care for not to mention them being pretty expensive. Small angelfish turn into large angelfish just so you know and can reach 6-8 inches. I mean you might be able to do angels, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner especially since they can get very agressive particularly around breeding time. Why not do a gourami pair (you should keep two males together) with some guppies and maybe a school of tetras? Btw welcome to the site and we're glad to help :)

Now that you mention it, I remember at the pet store where I worked we used to laugh at the "angel" fish because they ate everyone in sight. And we had some HUGE ones.

Thanks for all your answers. I have had fish in the past but I really want to do it right. I know I have to have the discus, them needing clean water isn't a problem because I cant stand when my water is not crystal clear. What other reasons are they hard to care for?

With the gold fish I already have them in decorative glass pieces ( girlfriends idea )and read that thats bad for them. I plan to give them away when they get bigger but there really small at the moment and should be to much of a problem right now right?

Now I have a 304 fluval canister filter and I bought it used so it didn't come with any media. What 3 filter media would be best for it?

Thanks

Thanks for all your answers. I have had fish in the past but I really want to do it right. I know I have to have the discus, them needing clean water isn't a problem because I cant stand when my water is not crystal clear. What other reasons are they hard to care for?

With the gold fish I already have them in decorative glass pieces ( girlfriends idea )and read that thats bad for them. I plan to give them away when they get bigger but there really small at the moment and should be to much of a problem right now right?

Now I have a 304 fluval canister filter and I bought it used so it didn't come with any media. What 3 filter media would be best for it?

Thanks

First off, welcome!! second, I would put the discus with more than just one, second the discus usually need very...how can i put...perfect water conditions. I also like to think they are really "schooling" (i say this because they prefer groups of 5 or more) type of fish. They love to eat smaller fish, but with the perfect conditions will turn out perfect.

As far as your filter is concerned, If you plan on committing to discus then i suggest that you look hard into discus filtration as i am def. not an expert. If you go with anything else then i suggest just getting the fluval sponges and bio-max. You do not need the carbon or any other chemical filtration unless you are looking to remove meds. I would go sponge, then biomax then sponge for your three in that order.

Also, just a reminder to make sure your tank is cycled (especially for discus) and that your goldies have filtration too...most people think goldies are fine without, but they really thrive with it just like any other fish too...

I believe discus need to be in a species only tank, and the angels will probably get agressive as they reach their "teenage" years.

Welcome to AA :) I would not recommend discus for your tank. I've read that the minimum size for discus should be 55g, but dont hold me to that ;)... I think you should consider either getting a bigger tank if discus are really what you want, or find some fish that would be suitable for the 30g (gourami, etc) that you will enjoy. As for the filter, just run the sponges and get some ceramic bio-rings. If the 304 is designed like the 305, just have all 3 media trays filled with ceramic biomedia...

Yes, minimum size for discus tank is 55 gal.*

1. You need to have a min of 6 discus when buying juveniles. Otherwise they are shy and feed poorly.

2. Growing discus will require 50% pwc per day with many ( 8 ) small meals a day. With that much food and poo, the only real way to get water perfect is to have a bare bottom tank.

I know that sounds ugly, but if you want fast growing healthy discus that is what you have to do.

When growing discus don't even worry about pH or hardness at all. Just make sure water conditions are stable. If your water changes pH as it sits (pH test straight out of tap and then again 24 hrs later), then you will have to do PWC's by storing water in a bin with a pump to agitate it. This off-gasses the carbon dioxide and ensures stable water conditions.

*If you manage to have a pair of discus then you could keep a pair of discus in a 30 gal tank. If the fish are fully grown and a compatable pair this will be possible. You could then keep 5-6 cories and an oto or bristlenose or 2 and at a pinch you could squeeze in 10 rummynose or 10 cardinal tetras. You could do this tank with gravel and planted with Val, Amazon Swords, crypts. on a low-med light and low tech (No CO2) system. Filtration needs to be 10x tank volume per hour. You would be doing 25 - 30% min pwc's 2x a week, cleaning the gravel thoroughly.

Keep in mind it is probably cheaper to get 6 small discus than a matched pair.

If you had a pair you wanted to breed, you could keep a pair perminantly in a bare bottom 30 gal with a breeding cone.

In my 305 I have the bottom basket with the "pre-filter" ceramic noodles, 2nd with pillow stuffing, top with biomax. If going the discus route, I'd put an aqua-clear HOB filter with just sponges in addition to the 305.

Hope this helps and is not too much all at once.

P.S. Goldfish live very happily in warm water. They have beautiful goldfish ponds in tropical Bali. It is just that they demand more food and oxygen then most tropicals and can out compete and out poo them. Goldfish can survive (not thrive) in much dirtier (high nitrate) water than many tropical species.

Yes, now that you mention it, all the discus I have seen have been in species only tanks. By "clean" water they mean not just clean to look at but completely free of toxins that are invisible to the eye.

They ARE gorgeous fish... but I think if they are more comfortable in groups you might be better off to put the discus on hold for when you get another, bigger tank, and use the 30 gal to practice water chemistry and fish keeping with less complicated species. I say this because you could invest a lot of time, money, and enthusiasm into a project only to have it bust and then you will be very very discouraged and dissapointed, and you might give up. You can always make keeping discus a goal for the future and slowly stock up on the right equiptment until the big day, and do lots of reading in the mean time. My one-day goal is puffers, but I know they are over my head right now so I am biding my time :)

Back
Top Bottom