Steps to success? 5.5 Gal tank and Red Eyed Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheKraken1483

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I'm new to the aquarium scene and I'm trying to get my first tank up and running successfully. I recently decided to get a small tank and a few fish to start out. I got a 5.5G Top Fish brand tank from Petsmart, a couple of fake plants, 2 deco items (one for the fish to hide under), and a little over 5 lbs of rocks and a heater. Firstly, I rinsed off all of the rocks and deco items and then set up the tank. I put some Prime branded stuff to the right dosage that is supposed to get the tank ready by getting rid of nitrites and nitrates as well as chlorine. Then I let the tank run for a little over a day and then went and got 3 red eyed tetras along with Tetramin flake food, bloodworms, and a bottle of Stresszyme to add in some good bacteria and jump start the bio load (I guess). I added that to the tank and put the bag of fish into the tank to acclimate them to it and get the Stresszyme circulated. After about 10 mins I added a small amout of the tank water to the bag and then waited anothe 10 or 15 minutes before catching the fish with the net and releasing them into the tank.

It has been 2 days and the fish are extremely timid. They mostly will stay hidden behind one of the plants and get very scared if I approach the tank. I try to come up to the tank slowly, but the still get scared and quickly swim around. They do eat, but for now I have only gotten them to eat the bloodworms, and thats only if I put it in the tank and then go away for a while. It seems like they ignore the food when I'm near and especially the flakes. Iv'e tried to stay away from the tank in order for the fish to not get stressed and to give them time to get used to their new home, but I'm thinking of getting 2 more red eyes tomorrow in order for the fish to feel safer since they are a schooling fish. I do want to add real plants in the future, but I want to get my tank established first and get used to caring for the fish. I will definitely buy a water tester tomorrow and report what all the levels are at if needed.

If you guys have any suggestions on what I should to make sure I don't lose fish or ways to improve my tank, it would be much appreciated! Sorry for the long essay, but I didnt want to leave details out in order for any mistakes to be shown so I can fix them and learn to do better!

Welcome. I would stay with the 3 tetras it is a small starter tank and will be good to learn with. I would add API Quick Start every day for 5-7 days to cycle the tank. Do u have a filter and heater? Don't do a water change till day five and then test the water. BE PATIENT It will start to be fun. Small tank. Don't over feed
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok, thank you. I do have a filter and heater, and they work pretty well. I was mainly just concerned about the behavior of the fish. They basically won't move anywhere unless I come up to the tank and they freak out, so I thought maybe there wasn't enough fish for them to feel safe. So far I've just fed them a small pinch of bloodworms when I wake up and when I go to bed.

Might be ammonia but that should correct itself. Or maybe their just getting used to the tank and are a little spooked okay makes a granule tropical food for smaller fish maybe the will take to that better. Don't worry you can't really under feed

Hikari micro pelletsImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456430539.055761.jpg

Ok! I guess the pet store lady didn't give the best advice :( I decided to go to a local pet shop instead of Petsmart because I figured it would be better. The range of fish and amount of fish at the local place was much more impressive, she had catfish, albino rainbow sharks, small live coral, etc. the fish seemed to be in better health too! For now I will continue to give bloodworms till I can get some pellet food soon. Thanks!

Petsmart

Some LFS 's. Will sell you anything just to make a sale. They don't know about your tank of what's in it. Study the hobby, ask questions. Petsmart is pretty good most of there staff seam knowledgable and trustworthy. Just don't buy anything if you see dead or sick fish in there tanks. They have a central filtering system. So far I've been lucky

Definitely test the water first, I feel that you added the fish too soon. It's better to let the water sit and let the tank cycle first. For now I would recommend just wait :) good luck!

Red Eyed Tetras are too large for a 5.5g tank I'm sorry to say. They prefer a group of 6 or more. They hit 3" and need room to swim and grow. Recommended tank size for this species is 30 gallons or larger.

For now, try adding a dark background and maybe cover the sides of the tank to make them feel more secure. You can tape a dark dish towel or cloth to the back and sides.

My advice would be to return the fish and get a test kit and learn about fish in cycling.

A 5.5 is very tricky to stock. If you are willing to grow some live plants to give them a feeling of safety you could have a group of micro Rasboras like Boraras brigittae the Chili Rasbora.

This list may help.
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/nano-fish-for-small-aquariums-5134.html

Another idea would be Red Cherry Shrimp but no fish. I love my Shrimp.

Other idea is a single Betta.

Some pics from my 10g tanks. Blue Betta was in a 5.5g
a14e521ea5b1b9e7e6348df2649b5c8a.jpg

a16d01d7f22d18cc7063ec1a34f5193e.jpg
003e6ef1c55b63e30e63d61fc9aad1af.jpg
241e06cf54dbac7f8e1a125d64120a9f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom