Sterilizing driftwood/java moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeremyblevins

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just picked up some driftwood that was already submerged in a display tank at my lfs, along with some java moss. I don't really trust the stuff so what's the best way to clean the stuff. I can boil it, and i don't want to use bleach on the wood because I'm afraid it might absorb it and leech it into the tank. So what about placing it into a 5 gallon bucket and dumping boiling water into it?
Also is a dip in bleach solution harmful to java moss or is it safe?

No bleach! All you have to do with the java moss is rinse it off with aquarium temperatured water. Rinse the driftwood under hot water first and then let it soak for a little while in hot water. After that you should be fine.

im also acquiring some java moss off ebay and dont trust the person i baught it off if it is safe to go straight in an aquarium. rinsing it off in aquarium temperated water sounds like a good idea, i was going to quarantine it until my maingano took the tank. are there any other ways?

soz for the temp thread jack.

ill pay you back by replying to your question 2 :p

for driftwood rinsing it in hot water is a good idea, just make sure you look very well, there may be snails hiding through it. for most plants i would say rinse and place, or quarantine for a week to see what happens to the tank its in. :) hope that helps

Hydrogen peroxide is your friend for the moss. A quick dip will get rid of most anything.

If the wood was already in a tank with fish, I would probably just put it in the tank. You can boil it if you'd like, but I doubt there's anything harmful in it.

so i just ran the driftwood under steaming water for several minutes while scrubbing it with a brush, then let it sit in a dechlorinated bucket of water for like 15 mintues the placed it into my tank. i haven't put the java moss on it yet. but here's a pic what do you guy's think?

IMG_20100818_152412.jpg

okay so i attached the java moss to the driftwood with monofilament fishing line. Is this the right way to attach it, and can someone confirm that this is in fact java moss and no some over moss?

IMG_20100818_154301.jpg

Nice pieces. That does look like java moss. Fishing line is a good way to attach plants. Cotton thread and super glue also work. Java ferns would look awesome too if you're looking for another plant that's easy to care for.

i was thinking about picking up some red ludwigia to introduce some red into my tank. but i could definitely use some more texture ill take a look at the java fern the next time im at pet smart, which is like 3 times a day recently haha

The ferns attach to your driftwood. Ludwigia would look good in the tank too. Petsmart had their potted plants on sale for 25% off last week. I picked up some kind of red-leaved plant that I hadn't heard of. The name escapes me at the moment, but it looks awesome. Starts with an "H" I think.

I have a bottle of aqueon plant food would it help the java moss grow, and is it to use on a tank that is undergoing it's cycle

I wouldn't mess with the plant food until the tank is cycled. It's asking for an algae explosion. My java moss grew best when I had it in an unheated tank (72Fish) with decent light and only some panda cory fry. The moss likes cooler water that has a lot of iron in it.

About a month. The thinner you spread it the more likely the moss will get even light and you won't end up having parts die and the rest of the plant fail to attach the wood. The tighter you bind it the less the plants will have to grow to get into the wood.

Thanks guys hopefully it'll fill everything out better as I search to find better decorations for my aquarium and some interesting plants.

anubias barteri are nice plants that require practically no effort, they do well in reasonable water conditions, and also you can cut them in half so long as there are some roots on either side and have 2 grow if you want to. they are broad leaved plants which i find my siamese algae eater just loves to rest on. :)

Back
Top Bottom