Still cycling, test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddonaldson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I now have my first full water test results. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 2ppm, Nitrate 5ppm & PH 7.8. (Using the API master test kit)

I am cycling with 5 danios and have a 125ltr tank.

I don't think I'll be getting new fish for Christmas :-(. Better safe than sorry though :)

Looks like its progressing well - you've got nitrites!! That's a good thing! My nitrites lasted 2 weeks in a 10g fish IN cycle so you could be close, may be for the new year!

I am really excited about getting new fish! Hopefully my tank will be ready in the new year. I just need to find a good guide on different fish and if they are compatible with each other.

My suggestion is to pick a main fish for your tank size, then build off of that. Once you decide on a centerpiece fish you can find what's comaptible easily enough. You can also visit an LFS to see what they have, write down the names of the fish then ask on here. People on this forum will gladly advise you.

With nitrite at 2, I'd do a couple of 50% water changes to get them down. Nitrites are as toxic to fish as ammonia and 2 is fairly high for fish. Most dechlorinators only detoxify ammonia and nitrite to a certain point (usually 1 ppm) and the rest is then toxic to fish. The water changes would help them. I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

It seems you're past the ammonia phase which is good. The nitrite phase, which you're in now, is the longest (about 3 weeks on average) and they tend to rise quickly so just stay on top of testing and water changes to keep the fish safe.

Thank you very much! I will continue with the water changes and testing each day.

Back
Top Bottom