Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Still in cycle mode, water smells like pond during water change

Hey everybody, since my nitrites are so high I did a 70 percent water change and vacuum. The water smelled like pond water. Is that normal and okay? I have live plants which are doing well except the Hornwort sheds a lot of brown leaves. I'm wondering if I should just remove it. When I vacuumed it was mostly the dead Hornwort leaves everywhere. Other parts of the plant are thriving.
Opinions? Thanks!

Old 11-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as your ammonia is still dropping, i wouldnt worry too much. The dead hornwort leaves everywhere may cause you some problems though. Ive bought it before (3x now!) and it did the same thing so i got rid of it all together (too much of mess)! The pond water smell (kind of musty) should diminsh some as your tank continues to cycle (it may be due in part to the dead leaves as well). Pwcs & vacuuming should help too. That said, my big tank (which is planted) always has a bit of a pond smell-my non planted tank doesnt so maybe it has something to do with the plants? Im curious what others have to say!

Old 11-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, thanks. I probably will ditch the Hornwort.

Tags
change, cycle, pond, smell, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com