Still in cycle mode, water smells like pond during water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everybody, since my nitrites are so high I did a 70 percent water change and vacuum. The water smelled like pond water. Is that normal and okay? I have live plants which are doing well except the Hornwort sheds a lot of brown leaves. I'm wondering if I should just remove it. When I vacuumed it was mostly the dead Hornwort leaves everywhere. Other parts of the plant are thriving.
Opinions? Thanks!

As long as your ammonia is still dropping, i wouldnt worry too much. The dead hornwort leaves everywhere may cause you some problems though. Ive bought it before (3x now!) and it did the same thing so i got rid of it all together (too much of mess)! The pond water smell (kind of musty) should diminsh some as your tank continues to cycle (it may be due in part to the dead leaves as well). Pwcs & vacuuming should help too. That said, my big tank (which is planted) always has a bit of a pond smell-my non planted tank doesnt so maybe it has something to do with the plants? Im curious what others have to say!

Back
Top Bottom