Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have the following in my 20 gallon tank:

2 sword tails
6 danio chapre
1 red gourami
3 red platy
5 ghost shrimp

Can I add 4 zebra danios or anything else?

I'm not a stocking expert by any means...but you seem pretty close to stocked. Since you just cycled the tank, I'd slow down regardless and keep a close eye on your bio-filter to make sure things stay stable. Being familiar with your fishless cycle, I'm sure you'll be fine, but it's always important to keep an eye on things.

I'm not sure if there's any truth to this..but I've heard Platys mixed with Swordtails isn't a great idea. I'm not sure why, but I think I've heard it mentioned.

What type of filtration do you have in the tank?

I think that is a pretty good stocking as well. I would not add anything else. Platys and swordtails will just make more platies and swordtails. The ones sold in stores are mixes of each other anyway.

I have a Top Fin 20 and a Top Fin 10 running in my 20 gallon. I tested parameters. All is ok at this time.

Oh boy, more fish! Maybe the fries will be eaten! Time for me to get a huge tank for my July birthday! LOL

I'm not sure if there's any truth to this..but I've heard Platys mixed with Swordtails isn't a great idea. I'm not sure why, but I think I've heard it mentioned.QUOTE]

The reason being is because platies and swordtails can hybridise, so if you have, for example, a male swordtail and a female platy or vice versa, they will still be able to breed.

The difference here unlike other hybrids, say in the Rift lake or killie world, is the fish are already hybrids that is how they get the fin shapes and colors. There is little difference between platys and swordtails anymore.

Ahhh! We shall see. Yes, the tank parameters are all great so far. No ammonia, no nitrites, and no nitrates! I'll have to try to take a picture but with my cell phone will probably do it in thirds! Thanks for the compliment!

Back
Top Bottom