stock limit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi just wondering if anyone can let me know how much more stock ( if any) I can add to my tank. Its a 121litre with a 500litre rated filter and currently contains

4 Mollies (1 adult 3 babys)
3 guppies
2 pitbull plecs
1 whiptail ( or banjo) catfish
3 bumblebee gobies
2 swordtail babys
1 male betta
9 neons
2 assassin snails.

Im not wanting much else, maybe just few more neons for a better school, id love more gobies too.

Thanks in advance

I'd say that's fully stocked. I'm worried that you have 3 bottom-feeding catfish that will all get to 6 inches--in my opinion, that's overstocked for that tank footprint.

As far as the other species are concerned, I'd say you're about ideal, though I'm surprised that betta gets on with everyone else.

You can add a few more neons, but I'd consider rehoming one of the plecs of the whiptail if you see signs of aggression.

Thanks for the input. My tank is full of rocks and the 2 plecs share a cave and the whiptail cat has his own too so they are ok. I was told the pitbull plecs dont really get over 4 inches? Ive had them 6 months and that havent really grown at all? They are around 2inch at the mo. My betta is the most docile one ive seen lol wouldn't hurt a fly, it was a risk putting him in but well worth it.

Oh, I think you're right about the pitbulls, actually, they are more of a dwarf species. Well it sounds like you're doing well. =] Like I said though, especially since you have mollies, which have a large bioload, I'd say you're fully stocked!

If I were you, I would get rid of the three baby Mollie's and get maybe 3 or 4 Neon Tetras. That is however just what I would do.. :)

You don't need to get rid of the baby mollies to add more neon tetras. There's room for both. That sounds like a nice home for the babies to grow up in.

Back
Top Bottom