Stock my 29G!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saucy840

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone this thread is for you guys to throw out your ideas on what you would stock in your 29 Gallon tank or what you think would be good for me and also any other type of ideas or comments you may have.

At the moment the tank is home to 1 angel and 3 red wag platys. Its in cycle for now so i cant add more till i finish ( how ever long that is lol ). So this gives me a bit of time to decide and debate. Here is my current stocking idea and a few pictures for everyone to see my setup as it is now. feel free to ask any questions make any comments or anything else.

29Gallon , 1 topfin 10 , 1 tetra whisper 40 , 2 bubblers , Fake plants ect..

-Top.
1.Angel
5.Glofish
-Middle.
1.Dwarf gourami
3.Red Wag platy
-bottom.
4.Albino cory
2.Mystery snails.

Attachments

• 29gallonsetupside.jpg
    29gallonsetupside.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 29gsetup1.jpg
    29gsetup1.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 94
  • tank99494.jpg
    tank99494.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 87
You might not want to attempt an Angel with a Gourami; the Gourami may fight with the Angel. It could work depending on the fish's temperament but it's a risk. Instead of the Gourami you could try a small school (6) of something like Rummynose Tetra or Harlequin Rasbora. Don't get anything too small (like neons) or they may become food for the Angel.

FYI Angels can get large; 6" from top to bottom. As yours grows you might need a larger tank for it to swim comfortably.

Its in cycle for now so i cant add more till i finish ( how ever long that is lol ).

Since you're cycling 'fish in' you should really monitor your water parameters. I recommend investing in a good liquid test kit such as the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. You'll know if your ammonia levels spike and if you'll need to do an emergency partial water change (pwc) along with your normal weekly pwc's.

When I first got back in to this hobby a few years ago (had tanks as a kid), I started with those fake plants as well. Are those silk plants btw? Anyway, I thought they look neat at first but they get funky real quick with algae and gunk. Then after cleaning them, they start to fray at the edges... not the best looking and I ended up replacing them with more fake silk plants.. could have just spent that money on real plants..

I recommend if you bought those fairly recently to get your money back and buy some easy low-light 'real' plants instead (i.e. java fern, anubias, swords, and crypts). Not only do they help speed the cycle up, but they help keep the tank clean and just look much nicer. Also, get some substrate such as gravel or sand... Gravel is usually best for beginners. The substrate bed helps support beneficial bacteria (along with your filter of course) to break down detritus.

There are just some suggestions... Welcome to the world of aquariums! :flowers:

And just a heads up, if I remember right I think angels do better in pairs, so I would do 2 angels. My goal is to eventually have angel fish one day; just not possible at the moment with only a 10g :(

Actually I'm pretty sure one angel is fine on its own. Pairs can fight if they don't mate and if they do mate they'll become very aggressive toward other fish. Plus a 29 gal isn't really room enough for a pair.

Library girl - Thanks again . I have had a gourami and this angel together for a bit in a smaller tank ( Not good for them i know which is why i switched tanks i just dont have the gourami anymore.)I want the gourami as another kinda center piece and he is not big yet only 2 1/2 inches.I do want a school of something small but not to small which is why i added the glofish i think if they have big enough ones at the lfs it would work. but i will take the other fish ideas into consideration because i really do want a schooling fish in there..

Brian-Idk if you have noticed my other thread but i check the water everyday sometimes twice a day and i also already have the liquid test kit.I currently do water changes everyday or every other day also.The plants i did not buy , they were givin to me with my spare filters , airpumps , and decorations.Also they dont seem to build up much gunk either.I am going to get live plants just not at the moment as funding is a bit short. I have not added gravel yet because i dont have a vacume to clean it yet and again funding is slowing me down currently with work cutting my hours back. I know about the BB n gravel, soon i will be addeding when i get money.

mrsh2012- A single would be better then a pair or 4 would be better to have if i wanted more then one. and im also following your journey hope to see the ammonia n nitrite down soon!! Check out my update i will be adding soon.

Thank you guys !!!!

What if i replace the gourami and glofish with 6 glofish electric green tetras which are white skirt tetras.

So it would be

1.angel
3.platys
6.glo tetras
4 albino panda corys
2 mystery snails.

I feel it might be alittle over stocked as the tetras are bigger then zebras and i also heard they might nip the angel? What your thoughts on this?

I really like Gourami so if I had a 29 I'd keep them and my favourite gourami are the pearl but I love angle fish too

I'm still waiting for nitrites to show up, these high ammonia levels (well there not all that high but they are to me!) I'm having are starting to freak me out, at the moment im at home all day and am able to do wc's whenever they are needed.

I'm still waiting for nitrites to show up, these high ammonia levels (well there not all that high but they are to me!) I'm having are starting to freak me out, at the moment im at home all day and am able to do wc's whenever they are needed.

Im not done yet almost tho i hope i been showing rele rele low ammonia , no nitrites and 5-10 trates, i just went the the lfs and they had almost every single fish i wanted and the glo tetra which i couldnt find any place around here was there so i changed my mind im just hoping they will work wit the angel.

I really like gouramis to and i do want one as a second center for the tank along with the angel but its a toss up idk lol still decideing i really want a school of fish with a center not just 2 center n bottoms im sure others on here can throw some more ideas out if they are reading!!..

And ill be doing a update on my cycle thread soon im going to test n maybe water change before i go to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom