Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Judge92

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have

2 Mollies (Silver & Black)
1 Red Platy
3 Guppies
3 Bloodfin Tetras
5 Neon Tetras

I will add 5 more Neons so that the school is larger. After that is there any more room for anything else? Any other suggestions or things I should fix?

If this is for your 29g, look for something for the bottom of the tank. Cories are a good option.

Sorry, yea 29g

edit:
How many cories? How big do they get? Are they better in groups? Is there actually that much room for them? My filter is rated for a 30g will that be enough?

You could add some more neons or bloodfins. Dwarf cories would be a nice addition. Peppered cories stay small (<2") and are quite entertaining to watch. I'd say get 4-6 of them so they act more naturally.

Cories really need to be in groups, otherwise they'll stress out and die. I have about ten panda cories in my 20L (Same 30"x12" footprint as a 29) and they're a lot of fun. They only get about 1.5" long Get at least six.

I'd think about adding another filter, something in the 20-40g capacity. A general rule of thumb is to take the rated filter capacity and cut it in half to get a practical filter capacity. I have an AC70 on my 29g.

So is this like "one or the other"? I wanted to add 5 more neon tetras so there's a school of 10. Does that mean I will still have room for 6 cories?

I always aim to stock the different levels of the tank. Cories mostly stay at the bottom of the tank whereas your other fish swim middle to top. You can add both. Check out my "My Tanks" link and you'll see what I cram in a 29g. A few of those fish will be moved out when I get the time and money to set up another tank, but the water parameters never get out of hand with that stock list.

Back
Top Bottom