Stocking 15-Gallon Column Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyK

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright, so I'm not exactly "getting started", but I figured this would be a good place to ask this question.

A little background: I recently got back into fish keeping, and in my excitement, I rushed out and bought three fish--a black moor and two black mollies--without doing all my research first, which was my first mistake, but I'm making arrangements for them to be rehomed with people with more adequately-sized tanks.

So, here's the question: in a 15-gallon column tank (13"x13"x18.5") that is heated, filtered, lit, and planted with Anacharis and Java Moss, would 4-5 male guppies be a good stocking? If not, what would you suggest (other than a betta)? I'm looking for something relatively slow-swimming with beautiful coloration and long tails/fins.

I keep a betta with guppies in my 55 gallon and he does fine (i wrote an article on here about it if you want to read it) granted he did shred a couple of fins at first from over stimulation (going from one of those small cups by himself to a 55 gallon with roommates i'm sure was a little stressful) and I lost a guppy as a result.
but if you want to try this make sure you add him last to the tank so he doesn't think the whole place is his and he tries to kill all newcomers. also make sure he is a different color than your guppies. a betta in a community tank is always a risk and bettas have different personalities so you can never count on them to behave like you want them to.

I think you could fit 7 guppies comfortably in a 15 gallon. granted that if they are all males (you do not want to deal with a guppy population explosion).
However i suggest you perhaps get a mystery snail for some variety. They help keep my glass clean.
perhaps even get some shrimp.

Good luck!

Possibly look at the varieties of dwarf gouramis that your LFS has in stock. I have always found them to be quite beautiful to look at as well as generally peaceful. You'd only be able to get one or two for a tank your size, but they are still worth a look at.

There is also the possibility of using Endler's Livebearers, a nano fish I remember right) since using them would allow you to grab more and thus have a more active tank. I really like the Red Flame Endler morph the most, it just looks so vibrant.

I'm not sure on what you could fill the lower portion of the aquarium with, since...well it's been a while since I have had to do anything like that.

A 15 column is a neat tank but hard to stock due to small foot print. Imo you need to look at this as a 10g or even smaller. Have to look at nano/micro species. Chili, ember, emaralds, grundeon, badis, endlers, guppies, cpd, ect. But even then it would have to be stocked lighter than a 10g. 13in not alot of length.

You can put guppies, shrimp, neon tetras, danios, and the list goes on.

You can put guppies, shrimp, neon tetras, danios, and the list goes on.
Typically a 20g is recommended for neons and danios due to them being active. Probably could argue over neons. But a 13x13 cube pretty small for danios imo.

I've now got the current stock: 1 male and 2 female guppies (I had 3 but one died), a male betta (very peaceful and does not even go near the guppies except feeding time), 3 ghost shrimp, a zebra nerite snail, and a black mystery snail. So far, this stocking is working our very well and I haven't had any issues, besides the one guppy.

Here's my 15 with 3 guppies, a betta, 3 ghost shrimp, and a mystery snail
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzUf3J1L289kVlRyZm9hQVBrUVk/view?usp=sharing
And here's my 3-gallon with 2 red cherry shrimp, a zebra nerite snail, and a baby guppy from my larger tank (I moved him so he wouldn't be eaten or sucked into the filter).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzUf3J1L289keDdDMmF4d1ZnR1E/view?usp=sharing

Sorry for the links, I tried to add the photos directly into the post, but they wouldn't show up so I had to just put the link instead

Back
Top Bottom