Stocking 20 Gallon Long & Food Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missriss126

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After doing more research and messing around with AqAdvisor a whole bunch, I think I have my final stocking plan for my 20 gallon long. It is still cycling, but I wanted to figure out how I wanted to stock my tank so I can plan accordingly for when it is time to add the fish.

• 2 German Blue Rams
  • 1 Pictus Catfish
  • 4 Juli Cory Cats
  • 10 Rummynose Tetras
  • 3 Otos

According to AqAdvisor, this puts me right at 100 percent capacity, but from my understanding they are kind of conservative when it comes to estimates.

When the time comes to add the fish, is there a certain order I should add the fish in? I know that waiting until my tank has been established for a few months is ideal for the GBRs, as they can be a little more sensitive.

Also, for feeding, what would you recommend? I was thinking of doing a tropical flake and a sinking algae wafer for the bottom feeders. Is this alright? Any particular foods better than the rest? I know a lot of people seem to like the NLS and Hikari. Should I be offering some frozen bloodworms, as well?

Sorry for all the questions, but I would rather ask now instead of after my tank is fully stocked!

The stocking seems good accept for the pictus, pictus are very aggresive and have sharp spines.... They are dangerous... Most catfish are.

Hmm I knew they had spines but from a few places I had researched they made it sound as if the pictus were a little more peaceful than other cats and could work well in a community tank. Do you have any suggestions for where I could go to look for more information on them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skip the pictus, I'd get 2 more cories if it were me.

Thanks guys! Now that I looked a little more I see that the pictus isn't a good fit. I would love to add a few more cories! Do you think 3 Otos will be enough?

Any food/feeding suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No pictus cats. They need a 48 inch tank since they are extremely active and nedd groups of 4 at least. I would be to worried about aggression if you go with spotted pictus they are docile from what I have seen. They just wouldn't be good for your tank.

I agree with the other post add 2-4 more cories.

Yes make sure you have enough cover for those german blue rams. Shouldn't they be last since they are the most sensitive and need to in a week cycled tank?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alrighty, so no pictus! How does 2 GBR, 6 cory cats, 12 rummy nose tetras and 2 otos sound?

Any suggestions for feeding schedules or types of food to feed?

I would just skip the Otos they need big groups like 5-6 and are sensitive from what I have seen. I would just stick with the cats tetra and gbr.

I would just skip the Otos they need big groups like 5-6 and are sensitive from what I have seen. I would just stick with the cats tetra and gbr.

Thanks for the advice! Will I encounter any problems with algae if I just have the cats, tetra, and gbr? That is the only reason I had included the otos in my plans.

You should be ok. Make sure to have your lights on only 8 hours a day and keep up on water changes and you should be fine.

Those are just some basic things to control it. I didn't feel like writing a boom but yes there is more.

I think your original plan minus the pictus cat, plus 2 more corys sounds good :) just wait to add the ottos for 6 months. I disagree that big groups are necessary for their survival, I've had 2 in my 10gal for over a year. They just need a very established tank, with live plants is ideal.

Agree with Kuhlugirl, add the Oto s to an established ( couple of months or more) tank. I ve had my original 3 for a year. They re cute little guys, kinda shy, maybe THAT would be different if the numbers were higher but my whole group gets along great so not gonna mess with that now.

As for feeding, get a good quality dry food such as omega one or new life spectrum to feed daily, and some sinking wafers for the corys- my bottom feeders love the Hikari sinking carnivore wafers. I think it's also a good idea to get frozen bloodworms and/or frozen brine shrimp to feed weekly or biweekly as a treat, along with some cooked de-shelled peas. If you're planning on a pleco, blanched veggies such as cucumbers or spinach are also often recommended.

+1 agree completely. If I get the fish from a local store I'll usually pick up a small amount of that as well to make the fish more comfortable over the first few days

I would add the GBR's and the Ottos last. They don't do well in newer tanks. You'll hate to hear this but waiting until the tank is 4 months old before you add them would be best. Ottos need tanks with lots of biofilm on the plants and surfaces. This only forms enough in established tanks. GBR's are very sensitive to nitrates above 20ppm with no more than 10ppm being optimum. OS.

Back
Top Bottom