Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just want to know what I can put in with a Molly?? I have a 5 1/2 gallon tank. I know I can't put to much in there but would like to know my options.

A 5 and a half gallon is not suitable for a molly. It's actually WAY too small for one.

Depending on what type you have it will grow to be anywhere between 3-6 or so inches. They also have a pretty hefty bioload and should really be kept in something more like 30 gallons.

If you rehome the molly you could get some endlers, a betta and some snails, or do a shrimp tank. 5 gallons really doesn't leave you with many options.

I understand that a 5.5 gallon tank isn't ideal for a Molly but that is what the LFS person sold me and what I have, and my daughter loves it. So i just want to know some other options I have.
When go to the store to look for something the worker always seems to be just a teenager and not sure how much I should trust them.

Velksfish said:
I understand that a 5.5 gallon tank isn't ideal for a Molly but that is what the LFS person sold me and what I have, and my daughter loves it. So i just want to know some other options I have.
When go to the store to look for something the worker always seems to be just a teenager and not sure how much I should trust them.

Unless you rehome it or get a bigger tank(20-30 gals), there are no options.
Sorry if I sound rude but it's true.

as emerald has said there is nothing you can add without upgrading your tank size.

These sorts of things are why it's so important to do research on your own. There are so many different types of fish with different needs it's just not a good idea to trust that these people know what is best. Most of the time they don't receive much for training, I opften find when I see someone that has a knowledge working in the fish department it's because they have a general interest in the hobby and have picked this knowledge up on their own time with their own efforts.

Back
Top Bottom