Stocking??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXGuy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I had a quick question on my proposed stocking for my 60 gallon freshwater. I recently found the website www.aqadvisor.com and was wondering if anyone else had used this or had any insight as to how accurate it is? I put in all the fish I want and it says my stocking level is 91% which is ok, but for filtration it says I'm going to be at 88%. I have the Penguin Biowheel 350 which is supposed to be for up to 70 gallons. We currently do 25% PWC a week but I just want to make sure that if this site is accurate that the filtration being kind of low will not hurt. I attached an image the site generated for me. We just want to make sure that we will have a good setup for our fish BEFORE buying them and don't put them in an overstocked or poorly filtrated tank. Any and all input is welcomed and appreciated!

Here is my current stocking:
-1 Oto
-1 Clown Loach (Not an option on the site; Only got it to take care of snails, after they are gone we will be re-selling him)
-2 Dwarf Gourami's
-2 Black Molly's (One had 8 babies, but we will be re-selling them after they grow; Not sure if we want a total of 2 or 3 in our tank yet)
-2 Glass Catfish
-3 Sunburst Platy's
-5 Cardinal Tetra's

Attachments

• Stocking Image.jpg
    Stocking Image.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 43
Hello,
I had a quick question on my proposed stocking for my 60 gallon freshwater. I recently found the website www.aqadvisor.com and was wondering if anyone else had used this or had any insight as to how accurate it is? I put in all the fish I want and it says my stocking level is 91% which is ok, but for filtration it says I'm going to be at 88%. I have the Penguin Biowheel 350 which is supposed to be for up to 70 gallons. We currently do 25% PWC a week but I just want to make sure that if this site is accurate that the filtration being kind of low will not hurt. I attached an image the site generated for me. We just want to make sure that we will have a good setup for our fish BEFORE buying them and don't put them in an overstocked or poorly filtrated tank. Any and all input is welcomed and appreciated!

Here is my current stocking:
-1 Oto
-1 Clown Loach (Not an option on the site; Only got it to take care of snails, after they are gone we will be re-selling him)
-2 Dwarf Gourami's
-2 Black Molly's (One had 8 babies, but we will be re-selling them after they grow; Not sure if we want a total of 2 or 3 in our tank yet)
-2 Glass Catfish
-3 Sunburst Platy's
-5 Cardinal Tetra's

Its a good resource to use as a guideline. Many here use it, it usually can tell you of any potential issues you may have with different species not getting along.

Hello, I had a quick question on my proposed stocking for my 60 gallon freshwater. I recently found the website www.aqadvisor.com and was wondering if anyone else had used this or had any insight as to how accurate it is? I put in all the fish I want and it says my stocking level is 91% which is ok, but for filtration it says I'm going to be at 88%. I have the Penguin Biowheel 350 which is supposed to be for up to 70 gallons. We currently do 25% PWC a week but I just want to make sure that if this site is accurate that the filtration being kind of low will not hurt. I attached an image the site generated for me. We just want to make sure that we will have a good setup for our fish BEFORE buying them and don't put them in an overstocked or poorly filtrated tank. Any and all input is welcomed and appreciated! Here is my current stocking: -1 Oto -1 Clown Loach (Not an option on the site; Only got it to take care of snails, after they are gone we will be re-selling him) -2 Dwarf Gourami's -2 Black Molly's (One had 8 babies, but we will be re-selling them after they grow; Not sure if we want a total of 2 or 3 in our tank yet) -2 Glass Catfish -3 Sunburst Platy's -5 Cardinal Tetra's
Okay, I see several problems in your stock.
1. It is very difficult to find FW bumblebee gobies- most of the ones that turn up are brackish.
2. Discus are not easy fish, and need tanks planned around them. They need schools and temperatures in the 80s(around 82 to 86).
3. Two dwarf gouramis will fight. I would pick a more peaceful gourami, like a pearl or honey, and only get one.
4. Black mollies can reach 6 inches and have an insanely large bioload. When you have both males and females, you need a M:F ratio of 1:2 or the males, wanting to breed, may harass the females to death.
5. Swordtails need the same ratio of 1:2 M:F as mentioned above.
6. Glass cats need schools.
7. Otos are very hard to keep alive and need a lot of algae until they are trained to eat prepared foods, and they may never accept prepared.
8. I would up all schools to 6 fish each, as any nipping behavior may be minimized further.
9. I would put a small Aqueon QuietFlow on for extra filtration as your stock is quite heavy currently with the clown loach.
10. Don't rely on biological controls to get rid of snails, many do not work and as you have seen, you can't keep many of them in the long run. If say that you should get more clown loaches, but as you are getting rid of him soon, I wouldn't.

These are just my thoughts.

Clown loach is there, you might have just missed it. That said they need a group and grow massive and need a huge tank (hundreds of gallons) and they are high bioload fish; I'd return it ASAP.

I wouldn't do Discus either; they require groups, a large tank, very specific water conditions and tank mates and are not easy to keep.

As said above the gobies require brackish water so they wouldn't be compatible.

You might have problems with the two DGs; if they are the same sex they're likely going to fight. If they are a male female pair he might stress her to death. So just watch them.

Everything else looks ok; just up the glass cats to 5.

As for filtration, I'd either upgrade to a canister or add another HOB filter. An aquaclear 70 would be good.

Back
Top Bottom