Stocking 29 gal: ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a cycled 29 gal (fishless cycle), hard water with ph 7.6.

The tank is low light low tech, and i mean really low tech! Minimum effort on my part. Hornwort, java fern, java moss and 1 banana plant are the inhabitants. The gravel is average sized gravel, a little finer than the epoxy coated gravel size. It is naturally colored.
The ornaments are pieces of slate I found around town.

I would like some opinions on where to move my other fish and what to stock in this empty 29 gal (sooo excited!!!!)

I already have:
10 gallon:::: plastic plants converting to live plants low light::: 5 ghost shrimp (i don't like them very much, theyre a little aggressive), 1 female platy (red wag), 2 ramshorn snails, 5 Endler Livebearer yellowjacket FRY in breeder box

1 gal bowl:::heavily planted with hornwort, java moss, java fern::: 3 tiny red cherry shrimp (experimetal, but shrimp are alive so that's good)

29 gal: empty!

Now what?!
Im considering changing the 10 gal to a shrimp tank, but since Endlers reproduce like crazy perhaps it should be a breeder tank. Or, I dont have a hospital tank so perhaps the 10 gal should become that.

Im worried the little shrimps will be eaten if placed in a community tank, even if it is planted and big.
Im afraid my Endler Fry will get eaten in a community tank
But i feel guilty knowing if a fish does get sick i wont have a tank for them if i turn my 10 gal into a breeder or shrimp tank

Ok aside from that, how about future stocking ideas?
A schooling fish would be ideal for the 29 gal. I've found neon tetras to be weak, and all my tetras have acquired ich in no time. Im afraid to stock neons again!
I LOVE cories. I must have them. I am finally able to stock them and i am so excited. Would a group of 6 fit in my tank? There are these gray/black cories i like, i think Sterbai or Juhlii is the name???
A mystery snail would be nice. A blue one i think.

Any ideas?
Thanks!!!

Rummynose tetras are amazing but even more sensitive than neons. Ive had mine over 3 wks and they are still hiding.

What about some danios or glofish?

There are also cardinal tetras
Glolight tetras
Flame tetras

Corys are awesome :)

What kinds are u interested in!??

sterbai corys are awesome, I really want some. Another cool cory is adolfoi.

You have a ton of options in a 29g for schoolers, if you are trying to keep it local then you may just want to see whats available in your area.

In that tank I would really reccomend some tetras, barbs, rasboras, smaller danios, bristlenose pleco, cories of any type, a gourami, betta, or some oddball. Not all of them, of course! Choose whichever you choose. :)

Oh so many options, I don't know what to doooo!!! Well, yes I adore Sterbai cories so would a group of 6 (or more heehee!) fit in my tank? Or would they not have enough room to roam and grow? What's your experience with these cories? ~~~~~ Yknow they should sell corydoras merchandise. Like, stuffed animals or... posters or...keychains... I would totally buy a stuffed cory. ~~~~~~~In terms of my LFS, there is one with crappy tanks but they sell oddballs. And then there's a surprisingly nice Petsmsart. I tested the staff multiple times and they all passed beautifully. And they're super nice. They sometimes don't sell me things because they know the fish are sick/the plants have been withering in their tanks. Isn't that great?~~~~~~ Ok anyways, I was afraid of mentioning gouramis or bettas. If I had schooling fish, wouldn't their fins get nipped? Plus, all the bettas I have owned have never been peaceful community fish so I avoid them (even if I am addicted to them). And, if I decided to put my cute little shrimp in there, I would be afraid they would be eaten! ~~~~~~ Whoa. Wait. I can put a pleco in my tank without it outgrowing it? Really? I have never done research on Bristlenose Plecos.... because I never thought I would have the room for one. Do they eat shrimp? Hmmm, plecos or otos?

Yes, you can fit a bristlenose pleco into that tank, I think it's just the right size for them. I don't think they eat shrimp, but someone will have to confirm that...

IME my gourami(s) and betta have always gotten along (even though for most people it doesn't end happily ever after) with my tetras and cherry barbs. Never have I seen nipping. My betta imbellis likes to "play" with some of the fish, so she pretends to school with the cories even though they despise her, don't know how that happend.

Yes you have room for six sterbais, if not eight.

I have 7 tiger barbs in my 29 and there awesome but they will nip fins of slower fish with big elegant fins.

Back
Top Bottom