Stocking 30 gal Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BKshish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey AA!

I've been keeping fish for almost 8 months now and want to take the step of raising cichlids. I originally wanted to start with them, but all the signs told me that was a bad idea. However, I've gotten a strong sense of this aquarist hobby, and now want to take on this stage. I got a 30 gal regular size tank (it was given to me by family so getting a larger tank isn't possible as I have invested so much in my community tank thus far), I intend to hardscape it, certain plants in mind, but I'm not sure what the main attraction of this tank will be. I would like to put 5-6 peacocks in here, but I'm seeing that may be too difficult given the size of my tank. I looked into dwarf cichlids, but aren't really attracted to most of the species I can get ahold of locally.

What it comes down to, is that I really like the red and yellows some cichlids offer and would REALLY want to incorporate as much of this color pattern as I can. Please help me with this, I search and learn but having a tough time finding the matching setup I desire. Im more visually invested in my tanks versus attitude or tendency of certain fish species. Any and all advice is appreciated, and I'm open to any considerations.

(I should note that I don't desire to do online purchases, but if multiple recommend a single location then it well be considered. Btw, I live in Dallas, Texas)

What kind of cichlids are u wanting to do Africans or new world cichlids? If your doing Africans in a 30 u could do kribensis or birchardis or something like that ? If new world cichlids u have alot of the apistogramma species u can choose from or u can get some type of ram cichlid.

Originally I wanted Lake Malawi peacocks, but due to my limitations I think the apistogrammas seem like the best choice. Problem is, not a lot on sale locally, most of the ones I like are online and that's where I'm iffy.

There's 2 places in north fort worth I need to check out, but if a local breeder had some id check it out or take a recommendation. Craigslist is kinda empty at the moment for dwarf cichlids

If you want a dwarf cichlid that is fairly common, mikrogeophagus ramerzi is a great option.

Back
Top Bottom